• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb question

lsc910

NAXJA Forum User
I was talking to a guy who also has an xj and I was telling him I wanted to do a homemade snorkel on my 93 xj with abs and 4.0, and he told me that some people are running minivan airbox's. I've searched on here and can't seem to find anything so if anyone knows about this please tell me and if you have pics it would help me out greatly.I'm trying to run 3'' pvc and the computer is next to the air box.Thanks in advance.

I know that their are issues with the abs pump interfering with a snorkel. Maybe a minivan airbox will solve this issue by adding some additional space? this could come as a big help to a lot of people including me. so if anyone has any additional info it would be highly appreciated!

Um.

Not sure why you would need an airbox with the snorkel?
Because you still need an apparatus to filter the air. All a snorkel does it reroute the entrance point. ARB's Safari snorkels as well as Airflow all connect to the stock airbox.

I know that their are issues with the abs pump interfering with a snorkel. Maybe a minivan airbox will solve this issue by adding some additional space? this could come as a big help to a lot of people including me. so if anyone has any additional info it would be highly appreciated!
The main issue you have heard about with ABS is with the Airflow snorkel. The ABS solenoids are on the driverside fender, right where the snorkel enters into the engine compartment. Thus, if there is ABS, then you can't have the snorkel enter right there. Airbox doesn't have much to do with this.

Here is my Airflow entering the engine compartment. This is where the ABS is.

this should point you in the right direction, never heard of the minvan airbox though.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=3252699

X2, also never heard of people using a minivan airbox. Nice use of the search.

I know a decent amount of people use air canisters, such as a Land Rover air canister, or a Donaldson air canister (used for industrial applications such as fork lifts). I have a Donaldson air canister with my Airflow, works well.

Last edited:
Hmm, I assumed there would be an inline filter that wasn't some type of air box. I know my airbox isn't very water-tight.

When installing a snorkel, you pretty much seal up the airbox. Other than the few holes in the bottom meant for draining any water that may enter, and the large intake hole in the front, it is pretty airtight.

I've got a '96 XJ with the ABS pump and an ARB Safari Snorkel. It connects to the front of the airbox (behind the headlight) so the ABS pump doesn't interfere.

What if I was going to run it into the cowl would it serve as the same purpose?
Same purpose as what?

Here is a good write up:
http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

Well the 93 has the computer right next to the air box and behind that is all the stuff for the abs.

The computer and ABS solenoids are in the same location for all the years, not just your '93.
Even with these where they are, the ARB Safari snorkel does not interfere with anything. But that is a moot point because you said you wanted home made.

There was a recent survey on here about intake systems. One guy had a really clean adaptation of the stock air box picking up air through a tube routed to the cowl. No need for the extra cone filter.

Back