• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Mount Tie Rod Systems

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ, 5.5 inch RE lift, 33 inch tires, Currie heavy duty tierod ends and bar, When I got the XJ the same tie rod was bent by prior owner, I replaced with same. But on our seven day trail drive I hit it slipping off a rock and it is bent a bit, not bad, we adjusted length to compensate the toe in for the long highway ride home.

Before I replace it again, what are other options to protect or relocate the tie rod?

It seems the tierod is pretty vulnerable on our lifted XJs, what solutions are there? Skid plate for lifted jeep?, A stock front skid wont really work, I also have sway bar drop mounts.
How about a high mount tierod system, which type? What's involved with a higher tierod mount conversion?

I am brand new to this, advice is much needed! Thank You!

I’m currently messing with the cavfab my self, it’s beefy

9007eeb60e31e870b7c540696f97063a.jpg
1dbbd78a5dd29eee243df4ab57ad28e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is kind of a cruel deep hole down which to send someone, but it is something you should at least consider: Do a search on WJ brake conversion. Better brakes and better steering geometry. If you have more money than time SFR has a complete package that will make your life easier, or you can piece things together with junkyard and aftermarket parts. The piecing things together is the deep hole. There are a number of different ways to skin this particular cat.

an aluminum tie rod would be the cheapest investment if you are happy with your current steering geometry.

This

The stinky fab aluminum rod that I’m running is beefy. Per their videos bends right back too!

Another SFR vote. Either the Aluminium TR or WJ Conversion.

The solid aluminium tierod test videos I have seen are impressive, the rod bends, but bounces back when load is removed. Thanks for suggesting that, I never knew these were made of aluminum, and it would resist bending so well.
Are there any downsides to the aluminum tierods?

Here is one outfit linked below that makes them for the Currie style tierod ends, which I have. Any comments on this product?

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/utr-tja/

Thanks!

Back