• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will they mate?

Gary E said:
I don't think you will have a problem with that but you will have t-case spline count issues

I will be dropping in an 87 tranny with tcase as a set to do the 4wd conversion on my 92.

What about the computer? Looking at some of the posts regarding manual overide of 2nd gear in the 1-2 position on the shifter, I encountered a warning of "don't try this on a post 1991 vehicle or it will damage the transmission." This implies a difference in either the computer, wiring or mech. operation. I would check this out.

If I'm not mistaken on pre 91 models there is a TCM located under the glove compartment/cubbyhole on the passenger side. On 91 and newer models automatic transmission control was relegated to the ECM. You may need the TCM from the 87.

I do have some sort of "computer" located below my glove box. I've noticed it when i had to drop the lower panel to run some wires for my speakers. Is that what you are talking about?

I have a 92 XJ 2door Sport.

There's also the speedo drive to consider; the 87 is mechanical drive while the 92 is electronic, so if you'll be driving it on the street you'll need to make some other changes as well. I'm not sure if there's a simple way to change things around or not, maybe the mechanical cable can be plugged directly into the new trans but I haven't done it. I guess if the case hasn't changed it'll fit...

Speedo's fine, the electrical pulse thingy for electronic speedo is attached just like the speedo wire, unscrew one and plug in the other.

Both aw4's have a computer, the same AFAIK. But the old AW4 had a "comfort" switch which the HO (1991+) don't have, so something is different with the wiring, and probably the computer as well. Now the interesting question is - do the old AW4 interface with the engine harness the same way as the new? I know the AW4 reads the TPS among other things. I'm not sure about this.

Amund2 said:
Speedo's fine, the electrical pulse thingy for electronic speedo is attached just like the speedo wire, unscrew one and plug in the other.

Both aw4's have a computer, the same AFAIK. But the old AW4 had a "comfort" switch which the HO (1991+) don't have, so something is different with the wiring, and probably the computer as well. Now the interesting question is - do the old AW4 interface with the engine harness the same way as the new? I know the AW4 reads the TPS among other things. I'm not sure about this.

EEEEEEK!!! I need to know ASAP. I have to let the guy know as soon as I can... HELP!!! it's one heck of a deal... i just need to know if it's gonna work !!! :twak: :dunno:

Back