• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 44/9" full width cherokee build

tayman said:
how thick are those plates?

1/4" plates. Frame rails are plated also with 1/4"

Turned out pretty good. Just need to prime and paint it pull of the stamped factory core supports and replace them with some 1" tube kickers

SU1HMDA0MjkuanBn.jpg

Yesterday was the Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association (U4WDA.org) summer convention.

We had a great turn out with 8 groups running 6 local trails then a catered bbq after.

We ran, Constrictor, a harder local trail
Pics of Eagles Nest

100_0399.jpg

100_0393.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0412.jpg

Only one guy made it up without taking the strap.
Fun day!

Also picked up a detroit for the 9", 4.88's for the 44 and master install kits.
I need to get them installed

Found a crack in my exhaust manifold,
replaced that with this
jeepmanifold6.jpg

add $106 to the tally
and a hole in my exhaust when a the hanger at the crossmember ripped off... fixed that too
found my intake manifold was cracked fixed that
SU1HMDA0NTUuanBn.jpg

Bry painted it because he loves red paint... and because it makes horsepower
add $80 to the tally + gasket $15
that was frustrating... took like 7 days to get that all sorted out...
Thanks Brian and Jeff

What is your mileage? you're on 35's right? I need to re-gear, and I'm just wondering how much it really improves mileage.

What is your mileage? you're on 35's right? I need to re-gear, and I'm just wondering how much it really improves mileage.

well I can't give an exact number because some guy [cough] bri [cough] installed my (free; don't complain about free) speedo gear wrong and it melted it and the blue worm gear on the t-case mainshaft after 1.5 tanks of gas but I was getting 200-220 miles per tank (mixed wheeling/ street) and I got close to 158 miles on less than half a tank (all street)... so if the math is right... I'm getting significantly better mileage.

so after I tear open the t-case and replace the worm gear and speedo gear I'll give a full report.

If I wasn't on such a limited budget I would have regeared before I even put the new axles in.

Last edited:
sweet, that helps. What was your ratio before?

Last edited:
sweet, that helps. What was your ratio before?

stock in the Ford axles was 3.50

Fixed the speedo gear, turns out advance adapters SYE speedo drive gear (the blue worm gear) is the same as the PORC one and the same one they use in the atlas... who'dathunk? chrysler part # 433-8996
(add $24 to the tally for speedo worm/drive gear and 39 tooth speedo gear)

So I busted out another little thing yesterday.
Center limit strap. Hopefully helps keep it from drooping too far.
(Add $22 to the tally for the limit strap and tabs)
SU1HMDA1NDUuanBn.jpg

We'll see if it works tonight I'm wheelin at Little Moab!
:conceited happy talk like a pirate day

Last edited:
awesome, that's better than mine!

personal question...: I'm thinking about doing a 44/14 bolt(free axle) build...

What's the biggest drawback of going full-width as opposed to trying to build a stronger(probably not AS strong), narrower rig? are there any?

awesome, that's better than mine!

personal question...: I'm thinking about doing a 44/14 bolt(free axle) build...

What's the biggest drawback of going full-width as opposed to trying to build a stronger(probably not AS strong), narrower rig? are there any?

If you don't also go larger tires than ground clearance is a drawback. More likely to drag your diff with a wider stance and same size tires.

I'm on 35's already... I'm looking to make the heep strong enough to handle them...

I'm on 35's already... I'm looking to make the heep strong enough to handle them...

Unless you're planning on going 37+ I wouldn't go full width otherwise people will start calling your axles anchors.

AAAAHH!!!!! but it's free!!!
haha, alright... 8.8 it is I guess...

More people's opinions first though???

You can shave a 14 bolt and gain clearance, wider stance = more stable, the 14 bolt is FREE.
I really like that last bit. I'd go FW on 35s, never break another axle and pick up some stability. Just shave the 14er when you get a chance.

Back