• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanilla Gorrilla blog

Going from 4.10s with a rear LSD to 4.88s and a welded rear you will be wheeling everything you want to and it will be awesome. for the next 12 seconds you will continue to be awesome.

Just went back through my build thread and it turns out I set mine at 30 in/lbs on the dot. Feels freaking tight regardless and I don't like it. But oh well. The internets told me it was ok.

EDIT: also, are those 4.88 gears used or new? Used vs new will require different backlash specs. But I like your tight pattern regardless.

Last edited:
So.... Been a week and a half. Ordered alot of stuff. Found some pretty worn bearings in the 8.8 so i went through it entirely. Stripped everything and welded the spiders together real good. Didnt touch the carrier though so that will be my experiment i guess. Orded new crosspin, gears, master install kit, rotors, ebrake pads, and disc pads. So been throwing those parts at the thing. Should be in good shape for SF.
Got two sets of shafts for the 30. Swapped in some 760 joints in the best looking set. So ill be reassembling the both of these axles and throwing them back under the jeep this weekend.
Got my trackbar sorted finally. Got a bushing from RE with a 1/2" bore. New heim from ruffstuff. Turned down the spacers to fit the mount i have. And got a new axle side bolt that will be trimmed to the right length on install.
Going through all the control arms and cleaning/rebuulding all the joints and replacing all bushings. Thing should drive like new when im done with it.

So check this pattern for me yall. 8.8 backlash is at .011"

Drive
7ezu2esy.jpg

Coast
e4edu6yr.jpg

Pattern looks good and keep up the massive amounts of work turbo! From my research previouy 11 is great for a rear 8.8. Lot of hot rod guys run em between 8 and 11

Ive put probably 48 hours in to the jeep over the past weekend. The front end is back on the wheels. The rear is bolted up. Found my passenger ebrake cable was damaged from my exhaust and not funtioning. So its off to picknpull today after work to pick up a replacement.
My current list is
-ebrake cable
-finish up the rear end
-bleed the brakes
-fuel pump
-diagnose nostart
-break in gears

I know nobody likes posts with no picks so here is a pic of how she is sutting.
te8e4eva.jpg

Dude , Im just stoked its coming along. hopefully the no start is quick and dirty like the fuel pump and done.

Ok so i Didnt make it to picknpull today as the only yard with a correct year was in fairfield and i was working in menlo park. I ordered one from vatozone for 13$. So ill have that tomorrow. Also going to throw in a new exhaust dounut as i think thats where my leak is coming from.

Tonight i swapped the fuel pump. Old one was deffinately worse for wear. The screen/filter and a cork gasket were floating in the tank. Oh well. My no start issue ended up being the coil. Made it really nice to test that as i had a spare in the garage. Swapped it and it fired right up. Im pretty sure the coil is what left me and the family stranded. The pump i think was just my frustration getting the best of my diagnostic skills. Although it did look abused and falling apart. When i tested it in the driveway it was still working.

So the jeep is now running very healthy. The drivelines are installed. The jeep is ready to role once i bleed the brakes and install the new ebrake cable tomorrow.

This has been a vigorous three weeks. Now i can begin preparation for the camping portion of sierrafest.

Last edited:
Ok so i Didnt make it to picknpull today as the only yard with a correct year was in fairfield and i was working in menlo park. I ordered one from vatozone for 13$. So ill have that tomorrow. Also going to throw in a new exhaust dounut as i think thats where my leak is coming from.

Tonight i swapped the fuel pump. Old one was deffinately worse for wear. The screen/filter and a cork gasket were floating in the tank. Oh well. My no start issue ended up being the coil. Made it really nice to test that as i had a spare in the garage. Swapped it and it fired right up. Im pretty sure the coil is what left me and the family stranded. The pump i think was just my frustration getting the best of my diagnostic skills. Although it did look abused and falling apart. When i tested it in the driveway it was still working.

So the jeep is now running very healthy. The drivelines are installed. The jeep is ready to role once i bleed the brakes and install the new ebrake cable tomorrow.

This has been a vigorous three weeks. Now i can begin preparation for the camping portion of sierrafest.

you are a damn wrenching machine.

Tonight i got the new ebrake cable in, bled the brakes with my lovely wife helping me, patched up my fuelpump access port, new plugs wires cap and rotor. Fires up faster and runs smoother than it has since i put this motor in. Really strong. Real stoked to drive it and see how it handles the trail engine wise.

Maiden voyage went well. Diffs are quiet and smooth. The only noise really is coming from the tires now that the rear is spooled.
No DW, drives straight and true, and maintains speed in od without working hard at all. Feels like a new jeep on the road. Super stoked.

Now just for a few small things. Oil change and exhaust fixes. But either way this thing is flying.

Adjusting that exhaust turn-down for maximum dustage?

pics of welded rear? I hope you welded the hell out of everything and threw in some buts and bolts and metal for filler and welded into a ball of traction?

Yeah. Im having it routed out over the rear leaf. Smaller slimmer muffler. Should be a hair quieter too.

Cant do a orb o traction with an 8.8. C-clips have to be removed every once in a while. And the carriers are pretty weak so you dont want to put to much heat into them. Especially the lsd ones like mine. I welded the spiders together similar to this.
7u8yqyre.jpg

Put in alot more webbing to bridge the teeth a bit more.
I welded across the toe of the gears as well.

Back