• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ or Late TJ Steering Wheel on XJ

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today I installed a steering wheel from a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland on my 2000 XJ. The steering wheel bolts up perfectly, the spline count is the same. You have to use an airbag from a 1999-2001 WJ for this to work in an XJ because those are the only years that have a single airbag connector like the 1997-2001 XJs. I measured the resistance values of the two bags before I tried this and they are the same. I have no airbag light, and am very happy with how it looks.

The wheel style that I have pictured can be found on 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees and 2003-2006 Wranglers. The woodgrain comes from it being an Overland model.

I have also heard that the later 1996-1998 ZJ wheels will work but have not yet had a chance to verify personally. I believe that basically any Chrysler steering wheel (ie: Dodge Ram, newer Grand Cherokees, Commanders, etc.) would fit our 1997-2001 columns but I don't believe any of those airbags would work because they have dual connectors. In my opinion the 2004 and newer Ram steering wheels are some of the best looking.

Will update with any additional info or problems down the road.

-Collin

Last edited:
Will the original airbag from the 1999-2001 XJ work inside that steering wheel, or do you need to cannibalize another WJ to get one, assuming your steering wheel comes off of a post 01 WJ?

Interesting. What did you do about the cruise control?

Good question as there are two different switch sets for the XJ. The PCM uses the resistance of the switch to determine the switch function as the wiring is "multiplexed" in nature. Would have to measure the ZJ/WJ switches to check for compatibility...

Interesting. What did you do about the cruise control?
The Jeep that you see it in did not have cruise control, although I do plan to add it down the road. TJs used the same column and steering wheel as XJs through 2000. Then they kept the same steering wheel with the newer style column from 2001-2002, when they switched to the WJ style wheel in 2003. I can't imagine they changed the resistance value, but it's Chrysler, anything is possible.

Will the original airbag from the 1999-2001 XJ work inside that steering wheel, or do you need to cannibalize another WJ to get one, assuming your steering wheel comes off of a post 01 WJ?
They are a much different shape, you have to use an early WJ (2001 or older) with these wheels. Same would be true if you got a TJ wheel, the early WJ bags are the only ones with the correct airbag connection.

Last edited:
Any implications if you install a WJ steering wheel, but don't install the airbag?

I'll be danged--you put that steering wheel on the wrong side of the car! :jester:

Any implications if you install a WJ steering wheel, but don't install the airbag?
Other than it looking ugly I suppose not :dunno: The horn wouldn't work I guess

I'll be danged--you put that steering wheel on the wrong side of the car! :jester:
I see what you did there :D

Just to put it out there: DO NOT ohm out an airbag. Sure you can get away with it - OR you can set the damn thing off in your face. When measuring resistance you are applying a current - which can, in some cases, activate or even damage the item you are putting the leads on.
You ever seen an airbag go off? It would do a lot of damage if, face down (metal side up) it inflated with your face above it.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.
Wheel looks nice! Just went on my upgrades list.

Hmmm. Interesting. I would love to have a wheel with the audio control on it for my XJ..
That's going to take quite a bit more work I believe. I don't think any of the factory 97-01 style stereos had the provisions for it, from what I've read those came in with the round Chrysler stereos. I'm guessing you could use the WJ clockspring to get the spare wires going up to the wheel though and possibly use an interface with an aftermarket deck. I'm not too much of an audio guru but that's what I've read.

Just to put it out there: DO NOT ohm out an airbag. Sure you can get away with it - OR you can set the damn thing off in your face. When measuring resistance you are applying a current - which can, in some cases, activate or even damage the item you are putting the leads on.
You ever seen an airbag go off? It would do a lot of damage if, face down (metal side up) it inflated with your face above it.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.
Wheel looks nice! Just went on my upgrades list.

Wow, I ohmed both of them, that's really scary, I didn't know how else to check it. I've set airbags off intentionally before from many many feet away but I've actually never had one go off very close to me. I appreciate the forewarning, I will take extreme caution if I ever do it again. So is there a SAFE way to check compatibility between two airbags?

^^^^ what he said

My experiments with airbags.
http://youtu.be/Im1e9Unz6DA

How much thicker is that WJ wheel than an XJ? I've always hated the skinny wheel in my jeep.

Haha, looks about like what I did with a couple Caprice airbags.

The WJ wheel is a bit thicker, I haven't measured circumference but its definitely a more comfortable grip. I have the standard rubber WJ wheel in my 97 XJ (I didn't hook up the airbag or cruise in it) and I would say it's somewhere in between the XJ and Overland WJ wheel. The woodgrain wheel seems to be the thickest to me. I'll take a measurement if I can find a way to measure it.

Last edited:
I have leather wrapped in both my XJ and ZJ and rubber gripped in my WJ and the WJ wheel feels minutely smaller.

There were ZJs that came with stereos with steering wheel controls. That I know for certain. XJs? Don't know, but reckon the ZJ radios would fit in the late model XJs.

Good question as there are two different switch sets for the XJ. The PCM uses the resistance of the switch to determine the switch function as the wiring is "multiplexed" in nature. Would have to measure the ZJ/WJ switches to check for compatibility...

There are actually three sets. AB for 1997, AC for 1998, and AD for 1999 to 2001. I almost considered swapping to a 1998 PCM because how hard the 1997 AB switches are to find in working condition.

1999-2001 XJ and 2003-2006 TJ use the same internal wiring schematic in their respective factory service manuals. The resistances are not listed so they would need to be tested, but it is worth a try. I know it definitely would not work on a 1997 XJ due to them having an extra resistor.

I did consider trying this steering wheel swap until I found a leather XJ steering wheel in great condition.

Today I installed a steering wheel from a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland on my 2000 XJ. The steering wheel bolts up perfectly, the spline count is the same. You have to use an airbag from a 1999-2001 WJ for this to work in an XJ because those are the only years that have a single airbag connector like the 1997-2001 XJs. I measured the resistance values of the two bags before I tried this and they are the same. I have no airbag light, and am very happy with how it looks.

The wheel style that I have pictured can be found on 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees and 2003-2006 Wranglers. The woodgrain comes from it being an Overland model.

I have also heard that the later 1996-1998 ZJ wheels will work but have not yet had a chance to verify personally. I believe that basically any Chrysler steering wheel (ie: Dodge Ram, newer Grand Cherokees, Commanders, etc.) would fit our 1997-2001 columns but I don't believe any of those airbags would work because they have dual connectors. In my opinion the 2004 and newer Ram steering wheels are some of the best looking.

Will update with any additional info or problems down the road.

-Collin

Hey @BIGSLVRXJ (Collin),
How did you find the upgrade? Did you connect the audio controls? For the audio controls, I was thinking of bypassing the clock spring and then wiring them into a PAC? I heard on another forum, you got watch out for resistance levels on the CC buttons? did you have any issues or was it just plug and play? Thanks so much and sorry to fire-up this thread after so many years :)

Hey @BIGSLVRXJ (Collin),
How did you find the upgrade? Did you connect the audio controls? For the audio controls, I was thinking of bypassing the clock spring and then wiring them into a PAC? I heard on another forum, you got watch out for resistance levels on the CC buttons? did you have any issues or was it just plug and play? Thanks so much and sorry to fire-up this thread after so many years :)
I found the steering wheel on eBay as I recall if that's what you're asking. I never got the audio controls working, and this Jeep didn't have cruise so I can't help there. I can verify that I drove it for about a year after installing the wheel and never had an airbag light, so using the early WJ airbag works fine in a 2000 XJ.

I have a 1998 5.9 Grand Cherokee, and the steering wheel has radio controls and looks exactly like that one. I installed an aftermarket head unit and used PAC SWI unit to integrate the two. There is just one wire coming off of the clock spring that you need to hook into. To make the steering wheel radio controls work on an XJ, you would have to have the clock spring off of the WJ so you can hook into the one orange wire .

Hey thanks so much for this. You have saved me tons of time. I’m going to the boneyard this weekend for the clockspring and wiring!! Cheers👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back