• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 gear wear pattern

Chillipepperlq9

NAXJA Forum User
Struggling a bit with my gear set up, has anyone had a pattern like this? Looks like the drive side is pretty high on the toe. How do I correct this? I can't find a lot of literature on this patter and I used the pinion depth tool to calculate the right shims for pinion depth. See the pictures below.
ff5523fde397ec08709235ce6f70da0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The first thing you need to do is pull a good pattern. You need to apply more pressure on the gears and get a pic of both the drive and the coast side.

Well I played with it a little today, I started at .025 then moved up to .035 and .0455 eventually to see how it changed. All at around the same backlash of .007. You can look at the pictures but what is driving me crazy is that it seems like the Drive side doesn't change from the top toe corner.

I used a pry bar to apply pressure.

Any thoughts?
63cac58bd03c16fc0142eb4d8a3f0e44.jpg
41580b8f93ae27f12ba385ca3d222a13.jpg
c1ebec32d5c3864ab02a4690e27e1400.jpg
f8f1c82bfd74fd4d2dc222abecaac55a.jpg
c03662499d4cb8c9cecd6745c928672b.jpg
4d2bf8c41ac161b94fb7896c44bc3cff.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Definitely not enough resistance on the gears, you got to check back-lash on clean gears. I don't see where your anywhere close.

Btw, how much pre-load are you using?

Is this a pattern? Looks like you painted the gears and took pictures

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Is this a pattern? Looks like you painted the gears and took pictures

Haha thanks I try to be a bit artistic, no but seriously I am trying to every tip and everything that is out there. I do admit I have no experience doing this but you can only learn one way. I appreciate all the help

Haha thanks I try to be a bit artistic, no but seriously I am trying to every tip and everything that is out there. I do admit I have no experience doing this but you can only learn one way. I appreciate all the help

Keep on bro. Just keep keepin' on

Stuff a rag against the ring gear to create some drag so you can get a better contact pattern.

Are these new gears?

as said is these new gears?
what did you use for a starting point and how did you determine this?

once you find out what is too much and too little backlash you can adjust accordingly. same with pinion depth. It takes some time to go to both ends of the spectrum and narrow that down. stay with it!

Back