• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core Replacement

GraniteCow

NAXJA Forum User
What brand of heater core do you guys recommend? I have a leaky heater core in my '96 and I'm wondering what to use for a replacement. My options are aftermarket like the Spectre aluminum one that has mixed reviews or an original used one from another '96. I'm reading some pretty mixed reviews on the aluminum replacements. Would a used copper one that's just as old as my leaking one be a bad choice? I'm not keen on replacing the heater core again tbh, or the idea of it leaking on me in January when it's 10F outside...but a 24 year old heater core is a 24 year old heater core.

Do the aftermarket aluminum ones really rot out as quickly as people say?

Won't fit his 96 and holy crap thats expensive.

Im interested in this topic too because mine is clogged and even putting clr in it has only rose the heat level slightly. But mine is rhd so my options are probably limited to whatever I can find.

I would pay that price if it fit.

There is a longer thread on this subject here: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1133707

It is a long read at this point. And given its age probably only the last couple of pages are relevant any more. Lots of dead links in the first pages.

Options are really limited anymore.

ETA: OE P/N for a '96 heater core is Mopar*Part No.:4713125

Last edited:
I replaced the one in my 96 11 years ago with a cheap aluminum one. No issues to date.... I don't think it's as big of an issue as people think.
People upgrade to an all aluminum radiator and are afraid to use aluminum on a heater core....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My logic here is that I can change a radiator out in a hour but it's a weekend project to do a heater core. I would even recommend doing the AC coil while your there!

Well, buy once, cry once. If you're pulling the dash, swap out the evap as well as the heater core. There's a bunch of foam seals/gaskets that may need attention. Problem is you won't know until you get it apart.

Here's one video. They took the dash out but explain other options. You can see what the innards of the HVAC box look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2R7XtBED1o

Well, buy once, cry once. If you're pulling the dash, swap out the evap as well as the heater core. There's a bunch of foam seals/gaskets that may need attention. Problem is you won't know until you get it apart.

Here's one video. They took the dash out but explain other options. You can see what the innards of the HVAC box look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2R7XtBED1o

Oh man!!! That's the overkill video, there are short-cut methods that are lot easier. It's still a bitch but plan ahead and take your time!

I have not done this job myself yet but I reckon the RHD core is different as it has it's own part number 4773 093.

It may only be different in the pipes. So possibility that replacement pipes could be be fabricated from copper or a mixture of pipework and hoses.

Sooo...go with the aftermarket aluminum one since it's a 1996 and just flush the radiator really well?
That is my recommendation... I mean mine has lasted over 10 years with no sign of failure yet... How long will you have the ole girl in reality?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How long will you have the ole girl in reality?

I can't speak for the OP, but one of my reasons for getting an XJ is because it should outlast anything that is on the new market.

The current replacement heater core options are pretty unappealing. All seem to have fitment and longevity issues. The Superior Cooling brass core looks interesting, but I'd actually prefer a quality full aluminum heater core.

Back