• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Time

Sporko

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]Well, today is the day I'm starting the big project...getting my jeep running.
The engine is in rough shape so a rebuild is what we decided to go with. The goal for today is pull the engine.

Specs: 1990 4.0 Laredo, 150,000+[/FONT]

IMG_0267.jpg

Future plans...4.5" lift, 33"s , axle swap, etc etc.....

Well, things went surprisingly smooth. Only had to go to the parts store once to pick up some sockets.

There is a little rust but nothing bad at all.

8.8 is correct. I found a guy on craigslist selling it for a good price that I couldn't pass. It will be a few months before it goes on though.
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg

looks good. im sure getting those bell housing bolts off was really fun. i normally take the whole front clip apart and remove the trans and t case with the motor.

your picture reminded me of when i pulled my engine the 2nd time.
ed0ea2ff.jpg

haha...nice helmet

Those bolts sucked....a lot. ugh.
If /when I pull the engine out again, i'll probably do it your way. First time I've pulled an engine, live and learn.

so far so good it looks like. thos bell housing bolts are a PITA its alot easier too get too them if you pull the head.

How difficult was it to maneuver the engine out with the front clip still on? I'm going to be pulling the 4.0 out of my 90 within the next few days, I think.

I may pull out the 4.0/AX-15/NP231 as one unit, though. Just weighing my options.

Mambeu said:
How difficult was it to maneuver the engine out with the front clip still on? I'm going to be pulling the 4.0 out of my 90 within the next few days, I think.

I may pull out the 4.0/AX-15/NP231 as one unit, though. Just weighing my options.

if you dont have access to awesome jacks and stuff, pull the engine and tranny as one piece, the engine lift will do ALL the work. i recommend using a rachet strap to "level out" the tranny otherwise the unit will hang at almost vertical cuz of the weight of the tranny. do, however, take the np231 off the tranny or you will never get it manuvered thru the engine bay. the t-case is easy to get off the tranny.

i pulled my front clip all the way off...that was the most tedious part of the swap, but with a 6" lift on 35s i couldnt lift the engine OVER the grille, i had to pull the front clip and i still had to let the air out of the tires to get the lift height i needed to clear the tranny over the bumper.

the only way he was able to pull the motor with the grille on is cuz he took the tranny off under the jeep, its so much easier (IMO) to take the tranny off layin in the driveway.

-Tim

edit: i dunno if i was clear enough, the reason i pulled the motor and tranny together is so i didnt have to fight to get the bellhousing bolts off while supporting the tranny and then having to manhandle it out from under the jeep.

Last edited:
It wasnt too bad getting the engine out, but if i do it again I'd take it out with the trans attached like Rehab and Jeepnuts311 said.
The bell housing bolts were a pain, but with the help of lots of extensions and cursing they came off.

As for maneuvering the engine, my friend was helping guide the engine as it was raised. Go slow and dont lower the engine on a fog light like me...d'oh

Back