• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help picking a MIG frame welder

JungleJames

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Y'all

Looks like I'm the kinda guy that needs to add frame stiffeners to my new XJ and I don't have a ton of welding experience.

Could you recommend a few MIG welders in 110 that would be up to the task.

I'm looking for one that is a good quality starter that won't be under powered but doesn't need to be the only machine I'll ever need.

I appreciate the help

I have a Miller 211. Capable of 110 or 220. I recommend welding the stiffeners with 220.

You could probably get away with 110v but the duty cycle will make you cool down or trip breakers so often you'll get frustrated.

It's a lot of welding and and not in the most comfortable positions.

There are a lot of great machines out there that will fit your needs. Hope others will chime in.

I agree with above. I have a 110 Lincoln. 140 or whatever. Anyways, with gas 3/16 is all it can do correctly. Fluxcore will burn 1/4 efficiently enough. Get a welder that can grow with you. Don't make my mistake... Definitely get a 220 unit that can run on 110 for the thinner stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just get one of the major brands, they are all good. Miller, Lincoln, Forney, Esab, and Hobart, etc..

I have a Miller 211. Capable of 110 or 220. I recommend welding the stiffeners with 220.

You could probably get away with 110v but the duty cycle will make you cool down or trip breakers so often you'll get frustrated.

It's a lot of welding and and not in the most comfortable positions.

There are a lot of great machines out there that will fit your needs. Hope others will chime in.

My buddy used a 211 to do my truss, and taught my a bit of welding on it. It’s a nice machine. I picked up a used 140 earlier this year but haven’t had time to play with it.

My MIG is a Lincoln SP135+. It is okay for light stuff. Marginally okay for frame stiffeners. Keep in mind the factory tin to which you attaching the stiffeners is pretty thin stuff. There aren't many places where you need serious penetration.

I got an opportunity to play with a Miller 211 once. Nice machine. I would love to have one. Although at this point, if I were to be buying another MIG it would probably be a full size 240 machine.

Keep in mind, if you pursue this to any degree you will eventually find yourself wanting access to other processes. My TIG is my favorite machine. And if I need to work outside (i.e. where there is a breeze) then it is stick time. Stick is also my best choice if I need penetration.

At any rate, if you want room to grow you might be best off starting with a power supply to which you can add processes as you feel the need/budget allows.

Do some research so you can be half-educated (just enough to be dangerous) and then walk into your local welding supply shop and talk to them. See what they recommend, and don't be afraid to ask if there will be discount days sometime in the foreseeable future. It is generally a good idea to buy a machine for which you can get local support. Count on finding that you need consumables (like tips and liners) at the least convenient time. Being able to get them locally can make or break your ability to go on a trip.

Oh, and while you are looking into welders, look into grinders too. You are going to spend lots of quality time with your grinder. I like my quick change 4 1/2" Metabo. I recently got a new toy though, a Milwaukee M18 grinder. I figure at the very least it should be useful in the junkyard. We will see if being cordless gives it enough of a convenience edge to displace the Metabo.

Looks like I'm the kinda guy that needs to add frame stiffeners to my new XJ and I don't have a ton of welding experience.
Could you recommend a few MIG welders in 110 that would be up to the task.
I'm looking for one that is a good quality starter that won't be under powered but doesn't need to be the only machine I'll ever need.

First welcome to Naxja! Since your new to your XJ and we don't know anything about your rig, I'm curious as to why you would start with the hardest and possibly not needed project?
You also want to go with a gas set-up vs flux-core!

The hobart handler is a nice basic 110 volt unit, I used that as a kid, Now I have a big 220 Miller and can weld to 1/2 inch plate with ease, but that is a many thousand buck unit.

some thing like the 110 v Hobart will be acceptable. Buying used will allow you to get a better machine for same price verses buying new.

You will want to learn on practice parts, so gets lots of scrap to practice on before turning the arc on your Jeep.

Gas shielded verses flux core is the way to go.

You also will need a leather long sleeved welders jacket, or pick up a cheap old leather coat at the good will. You need your skin fully covered, the arc rays will give you a nasty sun burn if not covered up, the burns can he much more painful than any burn from a day at the beach. also helmet and gloves are required.

The hobart handler is a nice basic 110 volt unit, I used that as a kid, Now I have a big 220 Miller and can weld to 1/2 inch plate with ease, but that is a many thousand buck unit.

some thing like the 110 v Hobart will be acceptable. Buying used will allow you to get a better machine for same price verses buying new.

You will want to learn on practice parts, so gets lots of scrap to practice on before turning the arc on your Jeep.

Gas shielded verses flux core is the way to go.

You also will need a leather long sleeved welders jacket, or pick up a cheap old leather coat at the good will. You need your skin fully covered, the arc rays will give you a nasty sun burn if not covered up, the burns can he much more painful than any burn from a day at the beach. also helmet and gloves are required.

Hobart makes nice 220 units as well...and 90% of the parts say Miller on them.

Hobart 210 MVP. For the money and capabilities nothing comes close. As others has said duty cycle is a major factor. Also the ability to switch between 120 and 220 is great. My dad has a hobart 140 and it's been a GREAT little welder. Obviously limited but has been solid all around welder.

Another vote for the Miller 211

I have a few welders all Miller — the 211 is a great, mobile, mig welder that you can grow into instead of grow out of

I have a Hobart 210 mvp, its a good unit. Im by no measure an experienced welder, but its a capable machine that still runs on transformers, and is pretty much an outdated miller 211. It would be cool to see a tear down of the old transformer 211 vs the 210 mvp. Im sure a new 211 would be sweet as an inverter unit, but its a bit costly for what you get imo.

theres many welders that run on 110, you get what you pay for, at least thats what my researched turned up a while back.

do you have a budget?
Miller/Hobart, Lincoln, Esab, Forney, Vulcan- supposed rip off of the 211. Pick a price point and look around that, most things will deliver just fine. To each youll find price point differences that reflect power, duty cycle, and tapped vs infinite functions.

As a newb welder still, I will say any machine that has infinite wire feed and infinite voltage adjustment, is pretty nice to have. If choosing again I would look for this function on a welder.

other than that, pick the best deal you can find on a welder within your budget.

Thanks for the great feed back you guys!

Looks like I'll add the Miller to my black friday wish list.

My local welding supply shop has the best deal, not what I expected but I'll take it.

Any ideas on practice material that will simulate the frame? The stiffeners are 3/16 so I could get some scrap and have at.

Thanks for the great feed back you guys!

Looks like I'll add the Miller to my black friday wish list.

My local welding supply shop has the best deal, not what I expected but I'll take it.

Any ideas on practice material that will simulate the frame? The stiffeners are 3/16 so I could get some scrap and have at.

It's not so much the 3/16 you need to practice on........it's more the sheet metal the frame is made of, and welding the 3/16 to it without blowing thru.

I looked at miller & hobart when I got mine, but got a better deal on the Hobart. A friend who has a Miller, used mine, and he said he saw no difference in the way they worked......his just cost a lot more.

Your 1st project is going to be challenging for a newb welder — out of position, dissimilar thickness, hard to see

What helmet are you planning? Don’t go cheap — it does make a difference

I run a Miller 140 with flux and it has more pop than you'd think. That being said, I'd run 220 if you at all can. Good advice. Hobart/Miller have always been my gotos but I wouldn't hesitate to run a Lincoln or a Forney or Esab, etc. Steer clear of HF stuff -- not because they are inherently bad, but because when it comes to welding, in my opinion, you want to count on those welds holding. :)

I would also recommend a 75/25 gas(co2/argon) mix for the thickness of the metal.

I would also recommend a 75/25 gas(co2/argon) mix for the thickness of the metal.

You use different gas for thick material? Real question is will he be welding indoors or out. if outside with any wind, OP don't waste your money on gas and regs.

I picked up a 110 volt Forney to learn with. And will be using it for stiffeners vs the 220v Hobart I recently acquired.

Buy once, cry once. get a good machine that can do thick stuff and be turned down for thin stuff like stiffeners/frame rail. Don't be like me and end up with 3 welders.

Last edited:
Different gases are used for different penetrations, the 75/25 is actually used for the thinner materials.

Back