• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preventing rocker rust... what’s the best solution?

fjxj0103

NAXJA Forum User
01 XJ, 4.0

4” lift on 31s

192k miles

I guess I’ll put this here since it is the stock rocker panel after all, not a square tube replacement (yet).

I want to keep rolling with my mostly rust-free rocker panels but Michigan is starting to take her toll on them, there is some bubbling on the passenger side, and a small paint crack with staining on the driver side. I’m a stickler about rust, as stupid as that sounds since I own a vehicle known for catastrophic rust issues. I bought this thing 2 years ago in Indiana with remarkably little rust, brought it home and got the leaking heater core fixed immediately after it started, then got some heavy duty undercoating from a well known professional shop.

Anyways, let me shut up get to the point, the rockers recently started rusting and I was wondering if anyone had a technique for slowing it down. I’ve researched some of the main reasons why it rusts out so bad and one of them was because mud gets in there and holds moisture, creating the rust on the inside and then it just works it’s way out. I took a hose and sprayed inside the little holes on the bottom but very little sand came out. So is there a better way, or am I just left to letting it rust out and getting replaced with some square tubing 5 years from now?

Thanks for anyone’s input, whether it be advice that will buy me some time before I have to cut them out and replace them, or telling me just to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no slowing or stopping rust that has started internally, other than removing the damaged metal and rust and replacing with fresh metal. The longer you wait, the more widespread the damage becomes. What you can see on the outside is only 1/2 of the metal affected by the rust.

You can buy aftermarket rust repair panels, paint them with rust fighting paint like POR-15 and then use a corrosion inhibitor such as FluidFilm.

There is no slowing or stopping rust that has started internally, other than removing the damaged metal and rust and replacing with fresh metal. The longer you wait, the more widespread the damage becomes. What you can see on the outside is only 1/2 of the metal affected by the rust.

You can buy aftermarket rust repair panels, paint them with rust fighting paint like POR-15 and then use a corrosion inhibitor such as FluidFilm.

I figured as much since there is no real way to get inside there CT, if the repair costs as much as I think it does, then I definitely don’t have the money to just replace it right now, that’s unfortunate...

Good idea with the POR-15, I actually have some that I used on the rear quarters behind the bumper caps cause there was already some rust back there.

Thanks for the input.

Replacement rocker panels can be a DIY job, it is not technical.

I used the Eastman Internal Frame coating and was really impressed with it.

If you're going to go to the trouble of cutting out and replacing the rockers, skip the OEM-style panels and go straight to box tube, you're likely only going to be doing that down the road anyway and it gives you good access to the inner rocker to get fluidfilm or that Eastwood stuff RCP mentions in there.

Besides, if you go box tube now it'll be a much more pleasant job than if you wait until the rockers are really bad inside/outside - a lot less prep.

Cant afford to take any action right now so I have some time to make my decision, thanks for the input everyone.

Chainsaw bar oil mixed with diesel 50/50 or more on the oil 60/40 what ever will spray through a under coating gun. It’s cheap or a coat or fluid film(lanolin oil)

After they start to rot there is not much you can do. But! boiled Linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits works rather well. Thin it so it can have a good capillary action and it will seep into every nook and cranny. I like it because water doesn't find its way underneath like it occasionally does with undercoating. It is also fairly cheap and a little goes a long ways. The downside is in the winter it can stay tacky for quite a while.

I forgot the warning, good ventilation, and this mix is extremely flammable especially when sprayed. Also, used rags go in sealed containers, Linseed oil on rags has been known to spontaneously combust. A little common sense and this material really isn't dangerous but the potential is there-

rp-342 or the like will help keep more moisture from the rust, but once its started its too late really. Another thing to consider is that what you see is probably the tip of the iceberg and there's likely much more rust not visible, if its pushing through the paint its got some growth. Cut it All out and replace with your preferred replacement when you can!

Personally, I wouldnt waste any money on any rust encapsulator/inhibitor products if its not healthy added as prevention to healthy metal.

Back