• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of the Trimmers Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Here's our KOT entry. Montgomery Wards with a 12 HP Briggs. We stripped the mower carriage and blades off of it.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Getting it ready to race. Put a new belt on it and changed the oil. It would hardly run because the air filter was so plugged up, so it got a new filter. Also got a new battery.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Getting it spiffy. Gotta match the team colors.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Lookin' good.

standard.jpg

Looking Jeep-ish.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Richard G

Looks great!

Reminds me, I need to get working on the tractor I bought off the Head Lobster in Charge quite a while ago now... and maybe pick the snowplow for it up from him sometime, seeing as it's quite wintery now.

I'm waiting to see if its an actual race *next* year.. If we will have a few months to work on improving the 4700 car.. ;)

We're trying to figure out how to disable the governor on the Briggs motor. We'd also like to weld the rear end, but we may run out of time. We'll see.

Do you make motor mounts for that swap? :jester:

Wow, I have the exact same model except it has a different logo (AGWAY). Mine is still running great but I sure could use the mowing deck that was stripped: mine needs to be replaced.
Anyway, I hope you do well in this race. I will feel proud riding on mine this summer. I may even paint it the same colors.

That's cool. I actually have two of them. I got two of them off of Craigslist for 150 bucks. I jumped on it because I thought it would work out having another one for spare parts. This one we got running with a new air filter, the other one we haven't tried to get running yet. The other one is dirtier, but looks like it hasn't been used as much because many of the parts are in better condition.

We're having fun with it. :D

Richard G

I gotta say, I am impressed with the Petty Cash effort. LOL

we have an agway like that that goes about 30mph or so, sadly it wont be making it out there..

i need to figure out when we are running. BLM makes it difficult to put on an "event" so right now it is a charity ride for JV that people may try to drive faster than one another on ;)

We're trying to figure out how to disable the governor on the Briggs motor. We'd also like to weld the rear end, but we may run out of time. We'll see.
Did some development work on a Briggs motor a long time ago.
All the rope pull starter- and many of the electric start models have a bump on the intake lobe that holds the intake valve slightly open until just before TDC for compression relief during starting. It lowers the running compression too.
Pull a valve cover(head if it's a flat head model) and throw a dial indicator in the intake rocker arm(intake valve face if it's a flat head)Check to see if the valve is actually completely closing during the compression stroke. If it's not, on a flat head, you can grind a few thousands off the valve stem to make the valve seat fully. Makes it a living b**ch to pull start, but ups the power by about a third. (We actually dyno-tested that)
Not sure how to mod a OHV Briggs to close the valve, never played with one.

I gotta say, I am impressed with the Petty Cash effort. LOL

we have an agway like that that goes about 30mph or so, sadly it wont be making it out there..

i need to figure out when we are running. BLM makes it difficult to put on an "event" so right now it is a charity ride for JV that people may try to drive faster than one another on ;)

Will there be a course for this charity ride? :D

Right now we're working on a front bumper with a little stinger.

Richard G

We figured out how to bypass the governor. It definitely helps.

:)

Richard G

Back