• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Drain/Fill only 1.5 qts??

Sleepydog

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing all the fluids in my new 2000 XJ. I checked my transfer case (242), the fluid level was fine, but dirty. I drained it, and could only get 1.5 qts of ATF in the case before it started running out the fill hole??

Manual says capacity is a little over 2.5 qts. Is it normal not to get all the old out?

I sealed it up, ran it through all the 2wd/4wd ranges - no noise, all ranges work fine. Checked level again - was spot on at the top of the fill hole.

Any cause for concern?

Thnx

Capacity may be 2.5 quarts. But when you drain it, not all of the old fluid comes out. You'd have to pull the t-case out to completely drain it. And the 4.0 does take 6 quarts if you're changing the oil filter.

The books are wrong about everything like that. My 231 takes a little less than 2, my 4.0 takes 4.5 quarts (not the 6 the book says), etc

Um, what? Do you change the filter when you change the oil? I have had several 4.0's now and every one of them will take 6 quarts every time I change the oil.

As for the T-case, yes that is normal, no cause for concern.

Manual says capacity is a little over 2.5 qts.

This is what my 89's Owner Manual says

[FONT=&quot]
2lmmj6h.jpg
[/FONT]

I'm an idiot...

Apparently I can't read my manual any more - It is 2.85 pint capacity, not quarts, which I tought it was (It converts to 1.43 quarts - pretty darn close to what I put in). It helps to pay attention when readin' those manuals...:sure:

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm good to go...

I s - was spot on at the top of the fill hole.

Thnx[/QUOTE]

Question -how do you get it to the TOP of the fill hole:looney:

It always runs out of the bottom of the hole in mine.

Wayne

Hell, if I don't know the difference between a pint and a quart, how would I know the difference between the top and the bottom of the fill hole??:roll:

Back