• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak issue, seal identification

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
so my jeep was just at a garage and its been too cold for me to be fiddling around with my jeep in my driveway doing guesswork, so while they were doing a job i asked em to take a look at my oil leak and lemme know where its originating from. they told me here:

seal.jpg

what should i be looking for when i buy a replacement seal and is this as easy as it seems?

thanks gentlemen

My 93 was a 15mm hex. I have heard of different bolts like torx and regular head. They are on tight, I used a repalcement bit for a allen hex socket from MAC tools. Then losened with a wrench and cheater bar. O-rings are cheap from dealer under 5 bucks.

On my 94 Grand I needed a 9/16 male hex. I used a threaded coupling, worked great. On the 95 XJ it seems to be a 3/8 hex and VERY tight.

Get the o-ring kit from the dealer, much better quality than the after market.

Tallpaul54 said:
Get the o-ring kit from the dealer, much better quality than the after market.
Agreed. Make sure you get the o-ring SET from the dealer, they also sell just the o-ring for the oil filter adaptor, which is the one thats leaking. However there are two other seals on there that you should replace (while you have it out).

What year is your XJ? This will determine if you have a Hex bolt or a Torx. If it's Torx, it's a T60, and be prepared to get creative in figuring out how to get a T60 along with something attached to that to get the damn thing off. If it's a Hex, I believe it's easier, but I don't recall the size socket you'll need at the moment....I know it's on here, do a quick search for oil filter adaptor.

If i'm not mistaken, Renix 4.0's were Hex bolts, and post-renix were Torx. I know mine was a Torx, but I don't remember the cut off year for which one is on what.

Once ya get it fixed, you might wanna degrease the hell out of your motor and clean it up a bit. Looks like that thing's been leakin for a long time. Another sign of the oil filter adaptor seal is oill will be along the bottom and back of the oil filter.

HeavyMetal said:
yeah its been leakin for quite some time

the XJ is a 97. prayin for no torx

It's definitely a torx. Sorry dude.... I ended up getting ill with trying to come up with a creative way, and loosened the motor mounts and hoisted the damn engine up just high enough to get some room.

From the picture, it looks like the distributor to block o'ring is leaking some oil too.

Ecomike said:
From the picture, it looks like the distributor to block o'ring is leaking some oil too.
Is there an o-ring there? If there is, I had a brain fart, because I don't remember one.

My 99 engine is leaking in the same area. I picked up a set of o-rings for the oil filter adapter from the dealer today (only $4.01), but the oil appears to coming from the distributor. I was going to seal the joint between the block and the distributor with rtv, but if there's an o-ring, I would rather do it right.

ratherbcamping said:
Is there an o-ring there? If there is, I had a brain fart, because I don't remember one.

My 99 engine is leaking in the same area. I picked up a set of o-rings for the oil filter adapter from the dealer today (only $4.01), but the oil appears to coming from the distributor. I was going to seal the joint between the block and the distributor with rtv, but if there's an o-ring, I would rather do it right.

Good question!!!! :yelclap:

There is either an o'ring or at least a flat gasket seal (or maybe both) on my 87 Renix 4.0, so I assume all the 4.0s with distributors are the same. It was the first leak I had to fix on my 87.

I know it has at least a flat gasket seal. I could be wrong about the outer o'ring now that I think about, it has been 2 years since I worked on that problem. I remember mine was missing the gasket for sure now that you mention it. So it may just be a flat gasket seal there, and no o'ring!!!!!

Turns out there is also a seal of some sort inside the distributor shaft / distributor housing / bearing area. If it goes it leaks oil up inside the rotor and cap:shiver:, YUK. When that one started leaking on mine (the second leak) I finally replaced the entire distributor with a rebuilt one.

Back