• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which antifreeze?

LBJ

NAXJA Forum User
:confused: :confused: Need to change coolant in our 2000 XJ. Does it use the regular green antifreeze or the red like a lot of late model cars? Stuff in there is too bad looking to tell what it was originally. Thanks for any help guys.

Mopar (Autopar) antifreeze from the dealer, mixed 50:50 with distilled (or deionized) water. I got about 5 to 6 years out of a radiator changing antifreeze every other year when using Prestone. Since switching to Mopar antifreeze, my factory two-core (towing package) rad on my 1990 lasted until 2003, when a seam split. My wife's 1994 car still has the factory rad-- Mopar antifreeze works! A nice way to avoid getting air in the block is to install a Prestone-type flushing T in the heater hose. You can then flush it out with a hose, then refill as per instructions with the T. This avoids the trapped- air problems and having to pull the temp sensor at the back corner of the engine to burp the air. 4xBob

Definetly use the green, and change it every year or two. The orange/long-life types have had problems with corrosion in some systems.

Back