• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep is a wiring nightmare.

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 2000 Cherokee sport has decided it wants to be a wiring nightmare. Door locks now run the rear windshield wiper. Doesn’t do the locks. Other buttons not working or are turning other things on.

My 2000 Cherokee sport has decided it wants to be a wiring nightmare. Door locks now run the rear windshield wiper. Doesn’t do the locks. Other buttons not working or are turning other things on.

I hope this isn’t the Jeep you where talking about in your other thread
At least I hope you didn’t pay what they where asking...

Definitely have to start at the grounds but from there check the driver side door — pull off the drivers kick panel and check all the wires where they enter the rubber boot between door and door frame

Most likely you’ll find wires in need of repair

Failure of the drivers door and the tailgate wire harness is very common. Since the door lock are always 12 volts positive hot, any short circuits to ground, or to other wire circuits can most certainly cause odd behaviors. As already suggested, start with a physical and visual inspection of the driver door and tailgate wires inside the rubber boot at the hinges.

medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

Fortunately I didn’t pay the asking price. They had said there were issues with directional after the engine swap. The cigarette lighter just pops out and the lights on the switches next to it come on. Wasn’t able to do much with the Jeep today. Will look at it in more depth tomorrow. Could the wiring get messed up after the engine swap? I expected issues on a 20 yr old vehicle. Electrical isn’t my strong suite.

First thing, buy a copy of the 2000 XJ Factory Service Manual, the real thing.
Section 8W has the schematics for your year and, maybe more importantly, it shows the locations of plugs, splices and grounds. It's invaluable when tracking down electrical problems.
Both of my XJ have had ground problems, it isn't uncommon, Chrysler didn't spend much on corrosion proofing.

Back