• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter bad?

pimpgixxer04

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys well i went to the store tonight to get some cookies for me and the wife and when i come out i get in and the rig wont start but all the lights are on and the windshield wipers are still working fine. It doesnt even click...i noticed it's been starting somewhat sluggish lately do you think the starter is the culprit.. i hope so cause i deploy friday and my wife needs this beast running for the winter... any help would be greatly appriciated...Oh and where can i get a starter pretty cheap...

Get underneath and give the starter a whack - not hard enough to rock everything, but enough to remind it you're in charge. If it starts after that, get a replacement so your wife won't have to do that again while you're gone.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Put a VOM at the starter hook up terminals, and have someone try to start it to get a voltage reading . If all is good there, it's only 3 bolts and about 5 minutes worth your time to drop the starter, and have it tested an most autopart stores for free. If bad, then you are already there to buy a new one....

BTW...The symptoms you described were the same for my starter, which in the long run turned out to be bad.

Yeah...it will do that sporadically until you're on a really tough trail where there is no way anyone could pull you out, either forward or backwards, and you shut your motor off and then go to start it and it finally decided that it was totally done with life.

Change it now...it's easy.

Back