• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Meh a/c

So. Am I maybe misunderstanding the valve? Drew a picture to help explain.? Ideas?
7cab12e3671337a4e62b915ed54f4b22.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Im 100% sure the changes made were in that valve when he got it to fill. so Im also pretty sure now that he may have not actually vacuumed it. nor did I.
Im gonna pull it all apart again (fittings on the compressor) and see if I can put it perfectly halfway like the picture above then attempt it again

If it's all the way out you can charge and evacuate the system. Crank them in and you can change the compressor without losing all that sweet R12 (back in the day). I didn't realize it had those valves. You may need to back those all the way out and draw a vacuum on it again. If you didn't get a vacuum on it before, you absolutely still have non-condensable gasses on there (air) and your AC will be
... Meh

Both valves were out the way the 2nd pic is. That makes sense now about the valves. But still doesn't explain why I couldn't fill

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Your drawing is correct. During normal operation the stem is backed out and seated to seal off the service port.

When servicing the system, you need to turn them both in but not all the way. That allows you to evacuate and charge it.

In the event you need to isolate the compressor, and not lose all of your refrigerant, you turn them all the way in until they seat. You can then remove the fitting from the compressor, or open the oil plug to check the oil level and add more oil if needed.

There are no schrader valves in the service valves. However, your retro fittings may have them. If they do, you also need to turn the knobs on the fittings all the way in to depress the schrader after you connect them (or simply take them out assuming your service valves seal properly).

Don't forget to back the stems on the services valves before you disconnect.

Your drawing is correct. During normal operation the stem is backed out and seated to seal off the service port.

When servicing the system, you need to turn them both in but not all the way. That allows you to evacuate and charge it.

In the event you need to isolate the compressor, and not lose all of your refrigerant, you turn them all the way in until they seat. You can then remove the fitting from the compressor, or open the oil plug to check the oil level and add more oil if needed.

I really hope you are correct and my drawing/understand that they need to be like halfway/midway in to Open the service port.
Thanks!

It's the same on my 88 Renix.

3cFsLpB.jpg

Last edited:
No worries. Just make sure the valves on the manifold gauge are closed before you open the service valves.

No worries. Just make sure the valves on the manifold gauge are closed before you open the service valves.
yeah 100%.
I've done other a/c systems on car's before this had me sooo stumped... now that I understand it its a way cool thing to have.

Wow I've honestly never come across that style before. 15 years of being a professional auto tech and that's a first. It's awesome to learn something new!

That's why we're here. :)

Had my XJ for 20 years and still learn something new every now and then.

Okay. some updates.

#1. the low side port was completely seized and I have to really mess with it to get it moving. That is now resolved.

However this raises some questions.... such as. if the low side port was seized. the a/c guy 100% filled from the high side.

T.T

After messing with it today. still cant get this thing to fill...

Pulled vaccum. -30hg did not change in 60mins.

Both Gauges show pressure when car started.

R12 Valves set halfway.

Bypassed relay. clutch engaged.

Tried to fill a Can. (low side)
Can got cold. Did not fill.

Am I like missing something?

when I say "can got cold didn't fill"
Can we running for 20mins on the first can.
it still weighs almost the same as the new can.

I feel like I'm going crazy here...

I did some more messing with it.
I cant seem to get high side to show pressure. with the valve set to halfway.
so this leads me to believe compressor might have tanked.
Will update with more info.

What pressure did they show? With the system evacuated, there should be no pressure since there's nothing to pump.

0 high side pressure.
30 low side

What gauges are you using? Can you post a pic?

Zero on the high side is atmospheric pressure. At rest (ac off), both high side and low side should read the same.

Back