• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door locks randomly lock and unlock while driving

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 XJ with 378,000 miles. Recently the door locks have started to lock and unlock randomly while driving. Some days it won't do it at all, other days it will do it randomly while driving. Any tips or suggestions on what to look for in troubleshooting?

Check the wiring between the door and the door frame for frayed or damaged wires. Start with the passenger side as that's the "master" switch.

Any update on this? My 2k just started un-locking yesterday!

Failure of the drivers door wire harness is very common. Power door locks have 12 volts at all times, so a short to ground will often trigger the lock solenoids. The damaged wires and failed wire splices are most often at or near the rubber boot.

medium800.jpg

Thanks guys - no update - I haven't tried to fix it yet.

I figure I'll try to tackle the passenger window switch problem at the same time. The driver switch switch makes the passenger side window go up and down, but intermittently the passenger side switch cannot make its window go up and down. I've long figured that was wiring in the door.

Wasn't sure if the random door lock/unlock was a computer starting to flake out or wiring but you all have steered me in that direction so I'll try to fix both at the same time.

The relays for the door locks are part of the passenger side switch. Random locking and unlocking is often a failed switch assembly. I've been trying to figure out wife's 99 door locks, had the switch apart and then when I plugged it back in they had a mind of their own.

Back