• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil rail bracket for 630 head

indy_xj

NAXJA Forum User
i replaced my 0331 head with a 630 head a couple of weeks ago. After being out of town for a week, i finally had enough day light to get the brackets done, and i promised some picutres. My brackets are not as pretty as some of the others i have seen, but they were easy, cheap, and are ROCK SOLID.

I started with some sandard 1/4" 90 degree angle irons and then "opened" them up. The brackets fit onto the 1/4" valve cover studs perfectly. I had to drill a 3/8" hole on one arm between the 'factory holes' for the 5/16" bolt to go through. 'Original' 90 degree bend on top and 'custom' bend on the bottom.

bracket.jpg

I tried to use the original bolts, but they need an 8mm nut. My lowes had no metric stuff, so i just switched to 5/16". I also bought grade 5 bolts. I didnt use a washer, because the bracket acted as one. Here is the new vs. the old

bolts.jpg

I also used grade 5 'flared' nuts. This way i didnt have to strugle with a washer on the bottom side.
nuts.jpg

They went on real easy. Didnt even need a wrench on the bottom nuts, just held them with my fingers, while i ratcheted on top. I'll check them in 100 miles or so to make sure they are still snug. And like i said above, it is rock solid. This rail isnt going anywhere. I used 3 brackets in total. 2 in the back and one near the front.

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

I got everything at my local lowes. Cost was about $6.

Enjoy the holidays.

ixj

Nice! this is something I'll probably have to use someday!

You should paint them black to match :)

One of the best ways i've seen to spend $6!

here is the best pic I could find of mine:
strap.jpg

Its a piece of aluminum 1/8" bar I had laying around. It has the bend that you see at the top of the coil rail and another 90* that goes under the rail.

I know this thread is as old as father time but I'm researching and need clarification on how to do this. Did you guys have to cut down the mounting bolt holes in the back of the coil or did you guys get it to fit with the longer bolts as is?

Why not just upgrade to spark plug wires?
P1080687_zps1vydmpzp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back