• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Rust country.
Rust country is where you find cheap LS engines. The body & frame disintegrate out from under & around a perfectly good drivetrain as a matter of routine, creating a local glut of hot rod parts.

The LS1 intake will slap right down onto a 5.3, so long as you also use F-body or Corvette accessories, clearing the hood just fine.

FWIW - just started following this thread. I have the exact same work bench complete with the 4ft shop light. I mounted a 6-outlet strip in the right vertical to make sure I had enough power sources. I have a 2001 XJ and an LS motor would be a great swap.

FWIW - just started following this thread. I have the exact same work bench complete with the 4ft shop light. I mounted a 6-outlet strip in the right vertical to make sure I had enough power sources. I have a 2001 XJ and an LS motor would be a great swap.

Ohhh. It sooooo is.... :)

What do you guys think of this?
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121775021314

Worth the extra?? (It would be able to fit under the stock hood and I could mate a 4x4 4l60e to it...

Should work fine. I'd suggest though if you're going with a 4l6xE trans, look for a 4l65e instead of the 4l60e. 65 is a bit beefier. Loads of guys end up swapping 65 parts into their 60 case. Save yourself some time if one happens to show up. They're usually the same price regardless.

Also, with the LS, you don't get the enormous truck intake, so you'll have no excuse for a ridiculous hood scoop. Just sayin' :p.

Actually, there MAY be a case for the truck intake, and that's low end torque. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, by I know the LS1 makes less torque below 3500 than the LM7, despite the LM7 being 0.4L smaller. I've no idea if there's a real world, seat of your pants difference or not. Some guys say there is, most say there isn't. I was going to go with the LS intake after I got my LM7 all buttoned up, but after taking it out on the street for the first time, I decided the torque was worth requiring a big scoop. I'll be interested to hear how yours compares off the line when it's finished. What size shoes and gears will you be running?

Me too.

The LS1 intake is the worst of the bunch. LS6 intake is better across the board. There's an article you can google search for, I think it was Hot Rod Network that ran a test of 20 LS-style intake manifolds and dyno tested for max torque / max hp / average torque, etc.
Honestly, any LS intake at all is going on an LS engine which, even the lowliest of them, makes 100HP more than you've got now. I'd go with whatever fits your accessory drive, hood & budget requirements.

Rust country.
Rust country is where you find cheap LS engines. The body & frame disintegrate out from under & around a perfectly good drivetrain as a matter of routine, creating a local glut of hot rod parts.

Yup, I have buddies up in the New England area that tell me of LS truck motors for a few hundred bucks all the time.

Yup, I have buddies up in the New England area that tell me of LS truck motors for a few hundred bucks all the time.

That'd be my recommendation if OP wants to save $3000 on the build. I couldn't justify buying a crate motor, nor anything from Ebay. $650 for a drivetrain that's only 10 years old is just too good a deal. I believe mine had around 70,000k on it (km, not miles). Took me about 2 weeks to get the swap complete to the point that I could do a test fire. Fired right up with zero hesitation. My entire swap was only around $2500, including the new TW DS's.

ORDERED:
AA Trans to TC adapter
AA SYE
Novak Headers

Remaining to buy/order (not counting the random stuff):
Fuel System (Still figuring out how I want to do this)
Harness Mod/Tune (obviously after I order the engine)
Holly Accessory brackets

Waiting on a few Ebay vendors to get back to me regarding a matching engine/trans combo.

That'd be my recommendation if OP wants to save $3000 on the build. I couldn't justify buying a crate motor, nor anything from Ebay. $650 for a drivetrain that's only 10 years old is just too good a deal. I believe mine had around 70,000k on it (km, not miles). Took me about 2 weeks to get the swap complete to the point that I could do a test fire. Fired right up with zero hesitation. My entire swap was only around $2500, including the new TW DS's.

I cant find anything around me for that price. Looks like one of the ebay vendors pulled through. I'm getting a matching engine and transmission under 100k miles for $2500.

If you had a choice between a 2005 and 2007 engine. What would you choose? I cant seem to find any differences other than the 2007 has the new style ECM.

They should be the same internally.

Ordered motor and trans today. Might have it by Friday!

Took some of the Jeep funds and FINALLY completed my AR. I got the complete lower just after Sandy Hook happened. It's been a running joke with my wife saying I have my half gun.
Mounted
53BE4B4E-6E62-40E4-B877-188821C7E6FB_zpsroplag13.jpg

Also ordered a Vortex Crossfire 2 1-4x scope. I like the fact that it's a red dot and small zoom all in one.
rfl_cf2-30_s_1-4x24vb_moa_fr-t.jpg

Back