• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

So been a good while since I've posted anything on the Jeep. Honestly haven't done much to it since I posted last. I did get a front diff cover for the 60 and got some new rock lights installed.. I did however put the jeep back on the road the other week but so far that's been a failure.. I picked up my old blue labels from the guy I sold them to for $150 with some tread still left and some H2s sometime before that. So it's just like it use to be lol. It's first trip out it was towed back. Jeep has just been randomly shutting off. When I try to start it back up it just turns over, but after it sat for a while it'd start back up for a little while then shut off again. At first I thought it was the CPS so replaced it this morning and took it out. Got to my girlfriend's house to pick her up get back in to leave and it won't start with a new sensor so I don't know what's going on..

33d7d341fcbc1c831a10214cc374e888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I got the jeep fixed.. put a Mopar CPS in it and it seems to be doing fine.. also installed a header today. Wasn't really planning on it but found one forsale locally that was never installed, so scooped it up. Got an AOP trip coming up in a few weeks. Hopefully gonna claim some redemption from the last time and wheel more then 2 trails haha

a7a8ade020feb9bb97ac33ac586bc32c.jpg

I did not see a year for your XJ. I assume you have a 2000-2001 because of the two precats. Whose header did you get?

David

I did not see a year for your XJ. I assume you have a 2000-2001 because of the two precats. Whose header did you get?

David

Yeah it's an 01. Not real sure what brand header it is. It was still in sealed plastic when I bought it but otherwise no paper work on it. It does however look like a well built header.

So AOP was a fail yet again.. Get up there and the jeep seemed to do alright riding around Friday night not actually hitting any trails. Go out Saturday get in the middle of my first trail and bam dies.. spent like two hours getting it out.. it would start sometimes and run for a little bit then die again and not start back up till it felt like it. Not quite sure what I'm gonna do but need to figure something out..

6850737e1d6d2612937249bb0d8e644f.jpg

Okay so a lot has happened since my last post.. I finally figured out what was wrong with the Jeep.. turns out it was a plug into the interior fuse panel was not clipped in and sliding in and out starting and shutting off.. went on a few trips since fixing that. Harlan, RBD at Busted Knuckle and gulches a few times. Along with picked up some race lines to replace the shitty Chinese beadlocks I kept having problems with. On my last big trip to RBD I steering gave out again. I put a stock pump back on it to finish out the weekend but and since decided to say the hell with it and go full hydro. I was trying to have it together before this weekend for a Hale Mountain trip but PSC dropped the ball on my parts so that won’t be happening.. I’ve got a few plans for the Jeep this year if I’m able to pull them off so stay tuned!

d66f741bc518658ea793ce859fbf378c.jpg

4d73ede34fdb215d488aba3d11abe1d6.jpg

cb0e4dc3955c2e16d15c3255b51292c6.jpg

54c3f9497aa0d303df50887a6e5d7495.jpg

734d5fc3be4cf46e559dca7c2b20495e.jpg

Steering is all plumbed and working.. still a decent amount of bleeding to do and may have to remount my ram but so far so good. I should have a trip planned within the next week or two but I’ll probably take it to gulches or something to test her out before then. I picked up another slowish project Sunday that will make my wheeling trips a little bit more enjoyable. Found a camper that seems to be just the right size to work with my trailer and give me enough room for the Jeep. It is just a shell so gonna need some work but I hope to have at least one bed and it sealed up soon before my next big trip so that it’s usable. I’m probably gonna do a test fit with it and the Jeep in the next day or so before I dive too deep in it just to make sure it does actually fit on my trailer so we’ll see..

7f7fe3cd10bdc3ecdc47e9dce2f6c6f7.jpg

7e436a76a00db0e21288a02e67097cc4.jpg

I'm sure you will, but check your tongue weight with the rig on there. From the pic it looks like the bulk of the weight would be on the ass end.

Most definitely.. I know for a fact as it sits it will not be loaded right.. I am going to build a steel frame for the camper to sit on attaching it to my trailer using the steak holes on the side therefore not modifying the actual trailer. So I am hoping that with that and after building the interior that’ll equal everything out.

Replacing that tool box with one that mounts on the tongue would let you move some of the weight forward.

Most definitely.. I know for a fact as it sits it will not be loaded right.. I am going to build a steel frame for the camper to sit on attaching it to my trailer using the steak holes on the side therefore not modifying the actual trailer. So I am hoping that with that and after building the interior that’ll equal everything out.

Awesome. :yelclap: How much did you pick up the camper for?

Replacing that tool box with one that mounts on the tongue would let you move some of the weight forward.

I know. I plan on removing the tool box completely and figuring that storage out later. This being a Kaufman Deluxe it came with a tongue box already (But is too small for really anything but straps) plus the 14k Jack and the PO moved the spare tire to the front. A combination of all of that will make it tough to just put the box on the tongue but I may work something out.

Awesome. :yelclap: How much did you pick up the camper for?

I paid $700 for it. I know that may seem a little high for a camper shell of this sort but to me it was exactly what I have been looking for. An 8' camper that wasn't a pop up nor for a truck bed. And I haven't been able to find one this small other than tear drops which are very pricey. Plus this one opens to the back so the empty trailer deck now will act as a porch!

Turns out I had the feed and return lines swapped on my orbital.. it kept feeling as if it wasn’t bleed still being tough to turn but once I swapped them it was like night and day.. drove around a bit I seem to like it. Will more thank likely have to remount my ram for clearance.. other than that the test fit with the trailer and camper went well.. it’s definitely tight but will probably work well.. there is definitely not enough tongue weight, I am hoping that building the camper and such will add the weight I need but we’ll find out.. Now time to put down the wrench for a while and pick up a hammer and nail.

bbe750d35f6f1f83ac989985b238f4fe.jpg

Just looking at that picture with the jeep and camper on the trailer I had a thought -- depending on how the underside of the trailer is designed it might not be all that hard of a task to move the 2 trailer axles back a foot -- would solve your tongue weight problem

Just looking at that picture with the jeep and camper on the trailer I had a thought -- depending on how the underside of the trailer is designed it might not be all that hard of a task to move the 2 trailer axles back a foot -- would solve your tongue weight problem

It is a thought.. I’m gonna start with laying the camper out to my liking and seeing where I’m at with tongue and overall weight. I’m trying extremely hard not to purpose build this trailer but if I have to I have to.

Back