• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisey Fuel Pump

riverside

NAXJA Forum User
I have 92 Xj 4.0 and the fuel pump hums, rather loudly sometimes, is always there just more or less so. I have driven with this for 15.000 miles, all runs good, just annoying. While running I can feel that the fuel line coming out of the tank is vibrating. What can I do about this? I recently bought the vehicle and do not know history of replacement, etc. Thanks

The fuel pump in my 88XJ only gets noisy on hot days. After many, many years of driving and periodic fuel pressure testing, I've decided to only replace the fuel pump AFTER it actually fails. Just like the Energizer Bunny, my fuel pump keeps "drumming along"!

Best regards,

CJR

I would replace the filter first and see if that quietens it down?

If not, replace the pump or be prepared for it to fail when you least expect it.

I just replaced a very noisy fuel pump/sender assy., dirty rusty on inside tank & filter in my 89 XJ and the new one is so quiet I can barely hear it when it runs (when the engine is off).

About $185 total for all new parts.

:wow:

To remove, I tap and turn the outside ring?

Mine came out by carefully tapping with a brass punch & small hammer.

Piece of hardwood & hammer works also if you do not have a brass punch.

Empty the tank best you can first and be careful not to make any sparks or...

:gonnablow

Many people have done it and written about it so it will be easy to find written information if you just do internet search.

Back