• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Coil Driver

Coil test procedures:

testingcoil.jpg

Cracked coil:

cracked%20coil_hesitation_backfire_chugging.jpg

I'm getting no ground switching at A7

Where do I go next?

thanks or the help so far!

you will not be able to measure the ground switching with a multi meter. it happens in less than a second and typical meters will not register that. the typical pulse is in the 3.5 millisecond range. unless you can get an oscilloscope connected to it im going to say its working fine. and the coil is failed.

just to update because I dug through alot of threads over the past few months and hated finding no end threads

IT HAS STARTED AND RAN for about a day now, no issues discovered other than its still trying to find the right idle

after i started getting a little spark( by removing all the negative wires that attach below the coil and clamping them to the AC compressor mount) i quit messing with it for about a week

today i went and just turned the key and it started to run for a few second, then eventually started running close to normal again

I have no clue what worked- but thanks for everyones input, I have a sinking feeling that I may be back for help shortly

Back