• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sagging leaf springs

tigtag

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ with 250,000 miles on it. The leaf springs are sagging in the back a bit. I'd like to be able to go up a couple of tire sizes to 30's but don't want to deal with the problems (or $$) that come with a suspension lift. Would replace the leaf springs with OEM equipment work or should I just put on a shackle lift? Any other ideas?

OE springs are pretty cheap at Quadratec. For the price, though, you can get the HD leaves that net you about 2". Add some 2" coils, new shocks, and a new brake line, and boom, you've got a cheap lift. Adding a shackle would be a fine temporary measure, but often times the longer shackle changes the leverage on the springs, causing them to sag even further.

That said, I ran 30s on my Cherokee with no lift and sagging springs for years with no trouble at all.

Another possibility if you just want to restore original OE height would be to add a leaf. A search here should come up with some good info on this, and maybe even some pictures (the stuff is there, but I don't know how well the search will find it). I've done this twice using a leaf from an old OEM spring pack cut down, and it makes for a nice cheap height restoration if you have, or can get, a set of old springs to carve up. If you have any friends in the area who have built up trail rigs, there might be some OEM springs to be found.

Edited to add: I would heed Sam's caution about shackle lifts on old saggy springs. I noticed when I recently added a leaf to my 99 (with 220+K miles), that there was a good bit of actual wear on the leaves, and that makes them saggier and a little softer even if they haven't deformed.

Last edited:
I just put in a second set on main leafs to my stock spring packs, and added in some home made 3/4" zero rate aal's and got a full 2" over stock height. I was sagged 1" below stock height so I actually got 3" of lift.

The 2nd main leaf firmed up the rear springs nicely, but still rides great.

Back