• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7's and a AW4

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from my week at Nascar. It's the first time out with the trailer and my new '17 stroker. What a dis-apointment, it's faster than cr** by itself, but with the heavy load the AW4 shows it's late/soft shifts. I have seen only one company that list performance transmissions (2500$) and I was thinking of a "shift kit" as they are much more common and I would be interested in what gains I would receive. It's a 2k, btw!

Recently we put a Trans-go kit in my AW4,trying to improve the shift firmness and 1st gear lock. Thought I bought all the necessary valve body gaskets..but the kit did NOT have a gasket that was a perfect match for MY valve body type. Because the gasket was not a perfect match the line pressures low.After putting the old used gasket back in the pressures were back to normal and the trans shifted as expected,,,but, reverse was very weak.
It was decided to pull trans and replace with a low mileage stock trans.
The old trans was a new factory unit put in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in 08 for the trip to Moab,so it was 10 years old and was fine until the"up-grade"
YMMV

I recently put the trans go kit in mine. It was a used trans after my 290k one exploded. It's a trail rig so I did all the hot rod shifts. Other than a rather critical washer fell out of the pressure regulator valve that required me to pull the valve body back out it works good. With the hot rod shifts it's a pretty much instant 1-2 shift and the others are very firm. For a street rig I'd probably do the truck shift mods but up to. It does not come with gaskets. They have a kit you can order but I ordered some off rock auto that fit correctly.

Transgo has 2 different kits, I'm looking at the HD2 kit ?

I ordered the HD-2 kit last night. When it gets here I'll spend my time going thru the instructions.

I found this last night....... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1121387

When I had got my stroker on the road I had soft shifts when towing my boat. I adjusted the TV cable so it’s a little tighter ( the trans sees that I have my foot in it more ) and it shifts tighter. I haven’t seen any adverse effects as of today and I’ve been running it like that for about a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it almost unbelievable that there is no support for the AW4. At best is the connection to the A340. I tried to find a good torque converter, I called Hughes today since their local and I've used them many times before, Nothing

We ran the HD2 on 4643 and it was outstanding.

I've been trying to figure out if we can intercept the VSS signal and tweak it to raise the shift points (-10% or such similar to speedo adjustment), but haven't put in the leg work yet.

I went around the corner to my transmission shop! Since I only have the use of one hand I figured this might be a good one for the pro's. He gave me a shitty price on just a "valve body" shift kit install, he gave me a good price on a "complete" rebuild with HD parts, something I might consider!

I received my Transgo kit today. I've been reading, reading, and re-reading, unfortunately I won't know which valve body I have until it's taken apart. As far as "port" drilling, I'm thinking about 70% of their recommended sizes!

I received my Transgo kit today. I've been reading, reading, and re-reading, unfortunately I won't know which valve body I have until it's taken apart. As far as "port" drilling, I'm thinking about 70% of their recommended sizes!

Are you talking about the separater plate? They have 2 sizes. One is for the truck shift and one is for the hot rod shift. Mine was also the type 1 valve body. The type is pretty obvious when you drop the pan

Yes, the metering plate! Saturday I ordered a VB gasket kit(hopefully the right one) and a WIX paper element filter and pan gasket. As far as the mods, I still need to decide on the 1st gear hold(I'm leaning towards that) and the metering plate drilling. As of right now I want to go 50% since they are easier to enlarge than make smaller.
The game plan:

1-2 shift : .076"- .093" (.082")
2-3 shift : .062"- .093" (.076")
3-4 shift : .055"
TC L/U : .062"

It's not that easy! When I'm towing on a steep downhill grade, I will shift into 1-2 for a hold in second, I would lose that!

Back