• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Transmission Mystery

hittjk

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I have searched many forums and threads looking for those who have had similar problems with their XJ's. Mine is a 97 with upgraded LED lights all around, 4.5 ift, SYE etc.

THE POINT....

My AW4 threw a P0700 and P0705 code (okay cool) and Overdrive wont work.
Sporadically the light will go off and Overdrive will work but it doesn't last long!

I have replaced the NSS with a $50 Amazon one that works. This includes starting in Park and Neutral and Reverse lights work. DIDNT FIX IT

I am now going to replace the TPS with Mopar OEM and adjust the TV cable. The brake switch seems to be fine and doesn't help by holding up the brake pedal (the pedal has no play anyways). I can replace that with OEM as well if needed.

Shifts are all smooth and when I do have OD it seems normal. HELP!!!

What do I do next?????

I don't even see a 705 on this list, but the 700 indicates a "communication" failure. That would mean bad wiring/connections!

P0700 JEEP - Transmission Control System Malfunction

Possible causes

•Shorted or open circuit within Transmission Control Module (TCM)
•Transmission Control Module (TCM) circuit poor electrical connection
•Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)

P0705 JEEP - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Possible causes

•Faulty Park/Neutral Position Switch
•Misadjusted Park/Neutral Position Switch
•Park/Neutral Position Switch harness is open or shorted
•Park/Neutral Position Switch circuit poor electrical connection

Last edited:
So I am looking at replacing the TCM? I am sure I could probably get a junkyard match or ebay match. I can tell you that I got both the 705 and 700 code at the same exact time so I have been thinking it is the same thing.

What would you all recommend first?

Checking all the wiring/connections.

Always start with the free and easy stuff, and then go on to the cheap stuff. Visual Inspection, sensor/solenoid testing, test wires, clean wire plugs, clean and snug grounds.

Last edited:
So I am looking at replacing the TCM? I am sure I could probably get a junkyard match or ebay match. I can tell you that I got both the 705 and 700 code at the same exact time so I have been thinking it is the same thing.

What would you all recommend first?

I had the same issues when I had replaced my shift cable. All I needed to do was adjust it. I got it dialed it ( if your 1tooth off it will act up and call a code). I replaced my nss thinking that was it when I could have saved myself 50 bucks by adjusting the shift cable. Something to try at-lease to save you some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have replaced the NSS with a $50 Amazon one that works. This includes starting in Park and Neutral and Reverse lights work. DIDNT FIX IT

I am now going to replace the TPS with Mopar OEM and adjust the TV cable. The brake switch seems to be fine and doesn't help by holding up the brake pedal (the pedal has no play anyways). I can replace that with OEM as well if needed.

Shifts are all smooth and when I do have OD it seems normal. HELP!!!

What do I do next?????

It would have been cheaper to disassemble and clean the existing NSS. Did you properly adjust the new one? Your issue is probably not the TPS or throttle cable, but it wouldn't hurt to properly adjust that cable.

When you say overdrive are you talking about it shifting between 3rd and 4th gear or is the torque converter no locking up? The torque converter unlocking could be the brake switch is dirty or misadjusted or the #3 solenoid in the transmission is failing. You can check the brake switch by driving steady and tap the brake pedal with your left foot and you should the rpms jump up a little as the t/c unlocks.

The case is not locking up. I have 4th gear just not overdrive. It's def not the TPS and I'm pretty sure I did a good install and adjustment on the new ADD. It starts in neutral and park and I have back up lights and brake lights with no flickering. I have already adjusted the throttle cable and I'm sure it's not the brake switch because even when trying to lift or press brake pedal at 60mph I have no gear shift or rpm changes. Should I start testing solenoids?? All connections seem to good and no stripped/pinched wires anywhere.

What's my next step? I'm totally at a loss. This jeep runs flawless except for this recent issue. Every blue moon it will lock in OD but it is very sporadic.

Our 99XJ would shift into 4th but the torque converter would not reliably lock up. I replaced the brake light switch assembly and the problem was solved.

I will replace the brake switch just to be sure (I don't mind as my Xj is my DD). I really do think with codes p0700 and p0705 I have an issue elsewhere though.

Should I test my solenoids??? (Not sure how)

Back