• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Buggy - Finally Getting LS Power

XJay-90

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, kinda new to the forum. In the process of swapping out a 350 for a 6L in my '90 XJ buggy and looking for some advice.
Few details on the jeep:
-Chopped and tubed, reinforced XJ unibody frame.
-350, 700R4 (just rebuilt), 231-C, Ford KP D60, 14-bolt, 5.38's and spools.
-3 link front with ORI's, 4-link rear with Fox 2.5" air shocks, 43" stickies.
-Have owned the pile for 10+ years and do everything from rock-crawling to racing.
Here are a couple current pics:
20170504_142302_zpsfkufg5jh.jpg

IMG_2406_zpsbazk5i8t.jpg

For the 6.0L swap, motor will be stock other than a mild cam, headers, and a good tune. Looking to get some recomendations:
-Headers; I'm going to try the Speed Engineering block huggers as they look like they should work for me and were only $140.
-Fuel pump; what's a suitable in-line fuel pump?
-Stall converter; is it necessary with the 3.06 1st gear in the 700R4 and 5.38's in the diffs? And how much stall?
-Will be getting rid of all of the left-over XJ harness/wiring and using the LS harness. Any good tuners to tune the ECU for this?
-Is there anything else that needs to be done to the engine before dropping it in? (I'm keeping the truck intake since it should fit under my cowl hood. Going to try and keep the stock oil pan as well.)

T.I.A., cheers Jay.

Thx guys, it's been a long time coming to get it to that lol.
Any feedback on my questions though? Need to get moving on this lol.
Thought of another pottential issue as well, the 6L is a drive by wire and my 700R4 has the mechanical kick-down cable. Do I need to switch to a cable throttle-body or is there a way to make the kick-down cable work?

That being said, I'll have a solid TBI 350 for sale here shortly if anyone's interested. Was freshly rebuilt before I put it in like 3 or 4 years ago, originally pulled from a motorhome. Fairly low hours on it obviously, only go on 4 or 5 trips/year.
Headers and harness included, modified and set-up for an XJ obviously.
AC compressor is set-up for on-board air. Engine is also set-up with an on-board arc-welder (modified alternator). Which I cold include for the right price.
20180312_204056_zpsnhrb9tld.jpg

20180312_204156_zpst4dskytv.jpg

Back