• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken door-hinge welds: cheap n easy fix!

I too am about to attempt this fix on my wife's '96 XJ. Everything seems pretty straight forward but I'm also concerned about how to remove the hinges from the door.

I am assuming that both upper and lower hinges need to be removed at the door side (torx screws). Then do the pins actually have to be removed from the hinges or can the mod be done with the pins left in place?

How is everyone else doing this?

I had already modified the hinges, to let me lift the doors off.

If you haven't (and don't intend to), I'm sure you could just unbolt the hinges from the door, remount them on the body, the bolt the door back on. It'll be more work getting the door aligned (may want to throw some fresh paint on the hinge, to mark exactly where they mount) but it'll work.

Good luck!

Robert

Thank you for this posting, I am a recent buyer of a 91 two door xj , and couldn't be prouder. My doors were sagging so I researched until I found this. I am about to bolt plates on but wonder what you did to that factory hole that is about an inch in diameter, by that I mean it is a stamped hole and the plate won't sit flush . Or did it not affect anything??

I know exactly the one you mean, you can see it in my first few pics.

I just tightened the bolts and pulled the plate tight against that dimple. Seemed to seat nice n tight, and hasn't budged in years.

How old is this thread? Six years? I've driven mine daily and wheeled hard once a month, no issues at all.

(Of course, there's been no door hanging on it from Easter to Thanksgiving, so that helps...)

Good luck with it!

Did you thread the holes in the plate, or weld nuts on it??? I need to do this exact thing.... the PO did a horrible reweld job.... Thanks for the write-up!!

Did you thread the holes in the plate, or weld nuts on it???

I ground the old welds off of the hinge, drilled a couple more 3/8" holes to bolt it to the plate, then (after test fitting everything) I drilled and tapped the plate to match.

There are no nuts: I drilled and tapped (threaded) the 1/4" plate. The bolts just thread into it.

:cheers:

(You could probably weld nuts if you preferred, but tapping worked pretty well for me.)

Thank you for the reply... I just re-read this entire thread and noticed that i had skipped some before posting that... thank you again for this thread!!

Glad I was "pointed" at this post. Because my 93 2door is breaking the re welds, guess ripping out the "guts" of the latch wasnt a very smart thing... But it wouldn't unlock.

Like so many others, this thread was pretty much ruined when pee-bucket got greedy and broke all the links. I can't go back and edit my old posts here, but I did redo the original writeup on my local club's board.

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12100

If a moderator would or could add this note and link to the first post for others who come looking, that'd be awesome...

Mine sags but the welds are not breaking at all its the pins wearing out.. because i can puck up and the door half moves but the body side stays put.

Just replace the pins. It's a SUPER easy job.

Like so many others, this thread was pretty much ruined when pee-bucket got greedy and broke all the links. I can't go back and edit my old posts here, but I did redo the original writeup on my local club's board.

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12100

If a moderator would or could add this note and link to the first post for others who come looking, that'd be awesome...

Members can now edit their threads.

Please fix the pics, that would be awesome!

mac 'thanks!' gyvr

mac 'thanks!' gyvr

The viewer can install the Photobucket fix on their browser which will eliminate the problem entirely.

mac 'thanks!' gyvr

The only way I knew to fix it was to hotlink them from CORE. I remember that used to be a big no-no around here, especially on the FOTD thread. I'll check with my club web guy, and make sure it's cool...

In the meantime, I think they're showing?

I can see them via Tapatalk.

mac ‘thanks for the renewal!’ gyvr

The viewer can install the Photobucket fix on their browser which will eliminate the problem entirely.

Yup... for now... until Photo****it updates their hotlink blocking and/or goes bankrupt because they drove off all their customers.

Back