• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 to a 242 swap

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I searched and must be a complete idiot. I cannot find much info on the 231 to 242 transfercase swap on a 94 or 96 Xj with auto trans. Flame me if yah want I'd like some help from the search God's please. If anyone knows where there is a good write-up let me know. :lecture:

not sure on the write ups, but i did a 242 to a 231 with a 4:1 teralow
problems i encounterd were spline counts on your output from tranny, to input on the new transfer, now I was working on a 89 XJ, I belive they went to a 23 spline out put on the later years but dont know enuff about the year switch, so splines will be your biggest issue, it will bolt right up, linkedge will bolt right up, but your plate in the jeep telling your shift points are off, the 242 case is a bit bigger I dont belive that creates any driveshaft issues, unless your looking for a slip yoke eliminator, there is not as much aftermarket products for the 242, dont know what your running as far as lift, but if anything over a 2 inch I belive you need a SYE... now when i was doing my resurch on this i didnt find much and what there was for the 242 was not great... thats why i went to the 231 insted, to go with my 5.5 lift, then I orderd a 4:1 teralow and it came with a 23 spline input and I had a 21 spline output on my tranny, now my fix was adding a Klune underdrive, to the mix now I have 2 transfers, lots of gears, I am told that its posible to change the output on the tranny to fix any issues... and now I wish I had gone to a atlas transfer insted, when I blow the 231 thats what I will be doing... dont know if this helps thats what I know... goodluck!!!

itll bolt right up. 242s in my experience are actually less prone to vibes. im running a tab over 3" and have no drop, no sye. the 242 is also arguable stronger than the 231 in a few ways, and teraflex does (from what ive heard) make a 4:1 for them, you just need to call them and ship them your case.

I did a 231 to 242 swap.

You'll need a new shifter gate for your lever (you need to remove your center console for this - don't worry, it's only like 4-6 screws).

The original linkage should bolt right up, and you will be OK on the splines. The only time you'll have an issue with splines is if you have a pre 91 jeep.

Ok so I need the gate for the shifter and the t-case is all? I have a line on a 97 242 t-case and my Jeep I'd put it in would be the 96. Drive shafts don't need changing? What about the Full time and Part time indicator lights?

the shift gate can be modified to work with the 242, I did this swap twice with no problems and wired in my own led for the full time light. search and you will find a bunch of info

Back