• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping the hood blankey?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure a lot of you guys with the older XJs don't have this on now (not sure if they ever had them), but my XJ has that insulation stuff under the hood. Is it worth keeping that on? I assume it's used to protect the hood paint from over heating but I would think it also does a pretty damn good job at heating up that engine bay quite nicely. I was thinking of doing the hood vents, but I want to find some really nice ones and do a lot of research before I cut into my XJ (I know I am scared and not afraid to admit it!). Any opinions on the hood blanket, to keep or remove? Also if anyone has any pictures or links of their install of the hood vents I would really apreciate them. They sound like they're not too tough to do but cutting of that hood makes me very nervous.

Thanks guys!

Jamie

The pad absorbs engine bay noise. I'm quite certain it has nothing to do with protecting the paint. My pad is intact, but removing it should be fine if that's what you'd prefer.

I'm a firm believer in junking it, but I will say my clearcoat started peeling after I took it off, But I don't think it was actually related

if its not breaking down and nasty looking i leave it up... once it starts to make a mess its history... i had a monte carlo that was clogging the airfilter with the insulation... i am also going to do the hood vents.. i'm blowing off work tommorow to go to a u-pull -it out near boston to go shoppin' i think i will grab a set of louvers from a turbo sunbird or the fender vents from an 81 Z28... or what ever looks like it can be functional without much fuss....
mc

My 98 does not have one. However two previous vehicles did and they were a ready source of buidling materials for the local mice population. They would build their homes near my carb/throttle body and setup housekeeping in the engine bays. Finally got fed up after they started leaving their nuts and shells all over the place and it would sound like a cusinart on startup. Pulled the blankets and started feeding the neighbors cat some treats so he'd hang around when I started it up in the morning and the mice would scurry out, problem solved. I also leave the nest of black racers alone that live under my shed, guess it works, have not seen a mouse turd since we cleaned it out with the aid of a co2 pistol and a nice flat squishing shovel :D

I have a 96 and that was the first thing i ripped out. I also intend on doing hood vents, fender vents, and a 3core GDI with a 180 TStat, I like to keep it kool in the summer

Thanks for the advice guys! Looks like out it comes and in goes the hood vents!

-Jamie

Back