• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Conversion

1986xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried over the past week or so to get the tech article - Front Driveshaft Conversion to come up but it wants me to sign in even though I already am.... and it won't accept my login. So could someone PM me a copy of that article (By Ghost) I have the yoke coming from Georgia Mike, I just need to see what else I might need and for sure which driveshaft I need for sure.
Mike B (See sig for specs on my 86)

You must not be a member! Some of the articles are a part of the Members area or something. Which tranny do you have?

5 spd., Y'all told me it couldn't be the ba10/5, but frankly I've not had a chance to crawl under it and check for sure if it's a ba10/5, T5, or AX-5, since it's been muddy for a month, and it's at the welders right now to get the rear frame horns replaced so I can't check right now.
Mike B.
BTW: I thought I was a member, registered and it lets me post here.... is there more? Am I not official until I post x# of times? I had been registered before like a year ago but for some reason I had to reregister back in may.

GreedyXJ said:
Hey Mike,

Where in MD are you?

Smithsburg, close to Hagerstown.
Mike B.

cool...nice CJ5
I'm in Keedysville.
Where are those pics of the CJ wheelin' taken on you web page?
maybe we need to get a meet and greet together at the wolf's den?Is that place still open?
later,
Dwayne

1986xj said:
BTW: I thought I was a member, registered and it lets me post here.... is there more? Am I not official until I post x# of times? I had been registered before like a year ago but for some reason I had to reregister back in may.

Registering to use the forums as a guest is not joining NAXJA. We are a membership Jeep club, with annual dues for full membership privileges. There's a link on the home page for those who would like to consider joining to support this organization. It's member dues (as well as some sponsorship help) that pay for running these forums. If you've been using the forums for awhile and benefitting from them, please consider joining and helping to support them.

I would highly recomend joining. It is a great club with great people. The only tranny I have ever seen in a 84-86 is the AX-5. However, there are some XJ's with the T-5 out there. Basically you will need a DC shaft from a 4 popper 5 speed XJ. Unless you want a custome length like me and got a AW-4 shaft cut down to length!

GreedyXJ said:
cool...nice CJ5
I'm in Keedysville.
Where are those pics of the CJ wheelin' taken on you web page?
maybe we need to get a meet and greet together at the wolf's den?Is that place still open?
later,
Dwayne

Most of them are from up near Mt Carmel (pretty close to tower city PA), one or 2 might have been down at big dogs. You have a page up for your XJ? Do you belong to a Club Yet? I'm with CV4W and we have a good many fairly close by (within 100 miles or so) places to wheel.
Enough here... I'll PM ya.
Mike B

Ghost said:
I would highly recomend joining. It is a great club with great people. The only tranny I have ever seen in a 84-86 is the AX-5. However, there are some XJ's with the T-5 out there. Basically you will need a DC shaft from a 4 popper 5 speed XJ. Unless you want a custome length like me and got a AW-4 shaft cut down to length!

I ran by and checked today, 1 piece case so I'm pretty sure it has to be a AX-5 now. And now I know why 4wd won't work...the driveshaft is gone!!! only thing there is a stub at the tcase end. :rolleyes: Any year or range of years better than others?
Thanks,
Mike B.
BTW: I'll go join up.... didn't have a clue about that till y'all told me.

1986xj said:
And now I know why 4wd won't work...the driveshaft is gone!!! only thing there is a stub at the tcase end.

Yep -- that'll do it! :jester:

The T-5 is a one piece case too. There is a top cover on the T-5 where as the AX-5 bolts together to an intermediate plate. I'll see if I can find a picture of one. The AX-5 has ribs on the case too. I cannot remember what the Case of the T-5 looks like. I just know it when I see it!

Bentonedge said:
man you are lucky you found that out now. i wonder how long you where driving around like that for.

Oh, I just got it and don't have tags on it yet. It's one of those PO things, he did a few strange things that I need to fix before inspection yet, like putting a cat back on it and fixing the rest of the exhaust, put a smog pump on and a lot of little things like that.
Mike B.

Ghost said:
The T-5 is a one piece case too. There is a top cover on the T-5 where as the AX-5 bolts together to an intermediate plate. I'll see if I can find a picture of one. The AX-5 has ribs on the case too. I cannot remember what the Case of the T-5 looks like. I just know it when I see it!

Well it looks like a lot like a 10/5, but the case is one piece. The picture here isn't very good - http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/ and really doesn't show the passenger side so I can see if it has that brass drain plug that uses a torx bit that I did notice on mine. The shifter has a bit of an s shape to it and a rubber boot down at the top of the tranny, which isn't shown well either.
Mike B.

JMHO but I think that is SPOBI on that site! The BA was not used in the XJ till 87. AMD never to my knowledge behind the 2.5 or 2.8. There might be some out there but I have never heard of it. If it looks like the BA then its most likely the AX-5. The BA is clamshell type case with bolts running the length and the AX is two halfs bolted around and intermediate plate.

OK, so will any year 4 banger 5 spd work... like one out of an 84 like yours or do I need one from something newer like a 90 or so?
Mike B.

Any XJ 5 speed should be fine as long as it came behind the 4 popper. Also the 5 speeds behind all wrangler 4 popper's is the same. Except for maybe the 2000 and up TJ. If memory serves me correctly the AX-5 was used behind the 4 popper consistantly from say 87 up. The 4 popper has the 60 deg V-6 GM Bolt patern. I have heard of people putting a GM auto in there too. HTH

Ghost said:
Any XJ 5 speed should be fine as long as it came behind the 4 popper. Also the 5 speeds behind all wrangler 4 popper's is the same. Except for maybe the 2000 and up TJ. If memory serves me correctly the AX-5 was used behind the 4 popper consistantly from say 87 up. The 4 popper has the 60 deg V-6 GM Bolt patern. I have heard of people putting a GM auto in there too. HTH

Ok I'm confused now maybe.... the front driveshaft out of any 4 cylinder, 5 speed XJ or YJ or TJ will swap into my 86 V6 XJ to replace the cvjoint style one? And I'm not sure about the GM Auto... :confused:
Mike B.

Looked again today, there is an intermediate plate, so I know for sure now that it is a AX-5.
Mike B.

Back