• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best year

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
i did the seach on threads but seems is not here any more, i planing to get a xj newer i currently have a 90 xj limited and i really love them, but is rusted from the bottom and i prefer to sell it and get a newer one whit ho, open cooling system, my questions is what year is the best to get, i planing to lift it and use for hardcore offroad

i've had a 94 and a 99 and the 99 definetly feels more solid. i have read on here a few times that 99 was the best year but i dont remember the reasons given.

herreraxto said:
i did the seach on threads but seems is not here any more, i planing to get a xj newer i currently have a 90 xj limited and i really love them, but is rusted from the bottom and i prefer to sell it and get a newer one whit ho, open cooling system, my questions is what year is the best to get, i planing to lift it and use for hardcore offroad

91'+ had open cooling system and 4.0L HO motors. A lot of 87's had a dana 44 rear axles if they had the towing package. Get a 91'-96' for the HO motor and the older body style then if you need parts you can get them from an 84'-96'. 97'-01' was the newer body style with the more rounded edges and updated interior.

main reason being is the lp d30 and the 35 in the back. gonna need to replace the axles if you plan on doing moderate wheeling with any kind of tires or lockers.

I've heard that the chrysler 8.25 in the later models is nearly on par with a Dana 44 while the Dana 35 is much weaker. Also when they updated the body they significantly stiffened the unibody.

i'd recommend a 98 or 99, being a new design it is bound to have some kinks that would be worked out hopefully the following years.

Back