• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0743

vujakovich

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question regarding this code, if anyone can chime in. I have read through all the threads regarding this, but I still can't figure this one out. I tested my solenoids at the TCM and at the dipstick connector. I show the correct OHMS on two of them, but on the Lock-out solenoid I am reading OL, which on my meter is open circuit. All of the wiring under the jeep looks good and I don't see any issues. My main question is, if the lockout solenoid is bad, would it read open circuit and not shows OHMS? I have read that a bad one will show higher ohms, but can a bad one show open circuit?

Open circuit means no connection at all. So either the wiring to the solenoid is damaged or the wiring inside the solenoid is broken. I have seen the connector at the solenoid come off too. I'd say measure directly at the solenoid since you already checked at the firewall, but if you're going to pull the pan, you might as well spend the $55 and have a set of solenoids ready to install.

https://www.amazon.com/Hotwin-Transmission-Solenoid-Shift-A340E/dp/B07JB4D876

I would agree with lawsoncl and tm8chris. There really is not very much to the circuit between where you measured and the actual solenoid. It's wiring/connectors/solenoid for sure.

Just to update this. I took off the pan and measured at the solenoid, still open circuit. I removed the solenoid and tested it, it still tested open. So the lockup solenoid was bad. The new solenoids I bought all tested around 12.6, I replaced all three while I was in it, and problem solved. So a bad one can read open circuit, must be an internal problem with it. I thank you guys for the help. :worship:

That's the most common scenario.

Well, I have been getting bad gas mileage, so I bought a scanner. I don't have a check engine light on anymore, but when I scan my truck I get P0743, and P0753 now. I clear the codes and they will come back. All three solenoids are showing the correct ohms from the computer and the harness. Any idea where to go from here?

Back