• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking when turning left and going over bumps

bjorhei36

NAXJA Forum User
Hi! I have a bad case of clunk noise coming from what sounds like the front end passenger side. It only appears when I´m turning left or going over small sharp bumps. No clunking when turning right.

Also, the noise sounds really loud inside the vehicle, but can barely be noticed when standing outside. I can not hear the noise when I try to provoke it in my garage, it only appears when driving.

I have changed several components at the front end, which are:

- Ball joints (all four at the front)
- Front axle U joints
- Track bar
- Tie rod ends and drag link
- Steering stabilizer
- Sway bar links and bushing

From visual inspection the control arms, the shocks and the hub assembly looks fine. I´m really getting frustrated here, so all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The most common would be control or trackbar mounts.

After all you replaced, i'd 2nd control arm bushings.
Don't overlook a bad shock bottoming out.
Make sure the track bar's mounting bolt holes are not worn oblong.

Make sure the track bar mounting bracket bolts are tight. Don't just look at em. Put a wrench or socket on them.

I have replaced the track bar, it´s tight. I also had the one of the LCA´s off today to look at the bushing, and the bushing was in good condition by the way.

Most anytime I get that clunk clunk when turning into a driveway it has something to do with the ball joints.

Jack up the front axle until the tire is off the ground, use a brick or something as a fulcrum pry the tire up with a long bar or piece of 2X4. Look closely at the ball joints top and bottom. New doesn't necessarily mean good. Or it is possible the ball joint bottom is moving in the knuckle, sometimes the diameter of the ball joint is too small and it can move in the knuckle or the hole in the knuckle is rusted or wallowed out and too big.

Also, check the steering box bolts I've had them come loose. Also have a look and see how much up and down play you have in the pitman arm, might as well tighten the pitman arm bolt while your down there.

What year XJ?

What size tires are you running, your tire may be contacting the control arm.

Most anytime I get that clunk clunk when turning into a driveway it has something to do with the ball joints.

Jack up the front axle until the tire is off the ground, use a brick or something as a fulcrum pry the tire up with a long bar or piece of 2X4. Look closely at the ball joints top and bottom. New doesn't necessarily mean good. Or it is possible the ball joint bottom is moving in the knuckle, sometimes the diameter of the ball joint is too small and it can move in the knuckle or the hole in the knuckle is rusted or wallowed out and too big.

Checked the ball joints again just to make sure, they´re not it. I also run small wheels, they have not been making contact with the LCA.
Checked the pitman arm bolt, tight as well.

Try pushing and pulling hard on your valve cover from the side. A quick check for motor mounts.

I put my feet on the passenger's side of my transfer case and bounce a little to check the rear trans/transfer mount.

Shock bushings?

Is it possible the exhaust is banging your cross member, grab he exhaust near the cross member and push up and pull down hard. Pretty common for the exhaust to contact there.

If it isn't obvious it almost has to be exotic.

Did you look at the steering box mounting bolts?

Can you feel the clunk through the steering wheel? Or do you just hear it?

Not likely but is it possible your rear axles U-boöts have stretched or come loose?

It may sound like it is coming from the front right, but the reality is it could be anywhere. I've been fooled before, sound travels through the drivetrain you can't trust your ears for location, especially from inside the vehicle.

Another oddball your front brake pads lose on the rails, not loud but they can clunk.

Thank you for a thorough reply. I tried all the things you listed, and as far as I can tell it was none of them unfortunately.

I noticed that I do have some rotational play in the front drive shaft. But surely, that could not be the cause for this clunking, could it?

I have replaced the track bar, it´s tight. I also had the one of the LCA´s off today to look at the bushing, and the bushing was in good condition by the way.

Tight is not good enough, make sure everything is "Torqued" to spec!

Replace the track bar frame bracket hardware. Bolts that have stretched due to age/wear/damage or overaggressive torquing just continue to stretch and become loose again. Inspect the shock bushings, upper and lower. After fresh track bar bolts cured my clunking, the next thing to clunk was worn shock bushings. Due to age and hard use they were deteriorating.

I found the cause for the clunking today.
And it was in fact the caliper slider pins seizing up that cause all the noise.

I did at an earlier stage take them out, wirebrush them down (they had some rust on them) and put new grease on them. Because I had done that, I kind of threw away the idea that they would be the cause.
Luckily I bought new pins, bolts and bushings nonetheless.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, and I do hope this thread might help others in the future.

I found the cause for the clunking today.
And it was in fact the caliper slider pins seizing up that cause all the noise.

I did at an earlier stage take them out, wirebrush them down (they had some rust on them) and put new grease on them. Because I had done that, I kind of threw away the idea that they would be the cause.
Luckily I bought new pins, bolts and bushings nonetheless.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, and I do hope this thread might help others in the future.

Glad you found the cause of your issue!! How were the caliper brackets where the pads slide? I ask because I know for whatever reason XJ's can wear a spot so that the pads won't slide freely. I think it's stupid that XJ's don't use the replaceable steel pad brackets like so many other vehicles do... that prevent such problems. I'm thinking the 'clunk' sound I've been trying to solve on my '01 XJ may have something to do w/the brakes as well. Even though I replaced ALL the components on my last brake job ~ 3 years back w/ Black Magic parts. You've given me some additional motivation to pull the wheel off and re-examine my brakes again.

Glad to hear that, go at it. I could not see any worn spots on the caliper brackets, but then again I did not look for it.
The slider pins however were a bit rusty and seized up, maybe due to use of different types of grease. And again, I had recently greased them up but they still seized. New bolts, pins and bushing did the trick.

Back