• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM minivan air compressor

Agreen

NAXJA Forum User
As a kid I remember hearing the compressor on my mom's Olds Silhouette kick on when we would load up the back.

I got to brainstorming about a small compressor for airing tires back up and thought about the possibility of pulling one of these from a JY. I have an old 2 gal Campbell Hausfield compressor that died so I fitted a HF 12v unit to it... but it sucks. It runs until it overheats, then shuts off. It only gets to 40 psi. So I'm wondering if those old minivan air suspension compressors were any better? Or maybe the Fords that had air suspension? I don't know. I tried finding out what pressure they run, but I haven't found an answer yet.

I'm thinking either nobody's thought of it and I'm about to go pull all the compressors out of the JY, or they run at too low of a pressure to be useful.

keep in mind it is not only pressure that matter, but also flow rate when filling the tires. 40 psi is more than enough pressure for many tires, but if the flow rate is low, it will take a long time to fill a big tire.

I assume the flow rate for a pump designed for airbag suspension in a car need not be high, the airbags are pretty low volume compared to a tire generally, but this is only an assumption on my unlearnt part.

so consider the flow rate too, often measured in cfm (cubic feet per minute)

it is no fun filling four tires at ten minutes each.

good luck.

Look into the York 210 compressors. Many old cars in junkyards have them. Mostly 70’s-80’s. I run one and it moves a lot of air. There are plenty write ups about them online.

I also often met the York 210 - good compressors, despite the fact that it is an old model. In terms of exploitation, I can advise you: first of all, after the purchase, before you start working, all elements of the air compressor must be checked for operability. Check the oil level through the special glass of the oil collector. If there is not enough oil, use high-quality oil https://kylesgarage.com/best-air-compressor-oil/ and top up the required amount. The compressor's work will be impossible or it will jam if the oil level is at the minimum level. It is also not necessary to fill the container with oil too much, otherwise it would violate air lines. td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}

Back