• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No reverse lights or brake lights or turn signals...

TheHighHeat

NAXJA Forum User
I had a short in my reverse lights(which i heard pop before everything quit working) that I noticed when I was changing my lights, the 3rd brake light works fine, but the rear turn signals(front signals work), the brake lights and the reverse lights won't work, when I turn on the head lights, the brake lights come on without me pressing the pedal and the turn signals work, so while I was trying to figure out what was going on the check engine light came on and threw a code P0132 which is O2 sensor circuit too high voltage then my jeep started to misfire and shut off...I disconnected the battery and let the jeep reset, I also cleared the code with an OBD2 tool, it came right back on

it's a 2000 XJ with 61k on it

Thanks in advance for your help, Jamie

my Check Engine light is still on, it's throwing codes P0132 and P0443. When I press in the brake my 3rd brake light works but the others don't light up. If I turn on the parking lights or head lights, the tail lights don't come on but the brake lights do and they stay on, pressing the brake doesn't make any difference, I've checked all the fuses and they are all good, I also checked the plunger on the brake switch and it seems to be functioning correctly, any ideas? Thanks, Jamie

Last edited:
Worked on it some more, diconnected the battery to clear the engine codes, haven't seen them back on since.

I just went and checked the wiring again and it all seems to be correct, I tried both the driver and passenger side turn signals they worked fine(front and back), pressed the brake nothing happened(3rd light worked), turned on the parking lights, the brake lights came on and stayed on, turned on the turn signals with the lights on they worked fine, turned the lights off and tried the hazards and only the front signals worked

I also have an electronic flasher installed, mine went out about 6 months ago and I just replaced it with an electronic flasher.

I'm about out of ideas, I hope someone can help me, thanks, Jamie

I found this on jpmagazine

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

"If you're a Cherokee owner, the NSSgoing bad can be evidenced by checkengine codes, such as P0700 (Transmission Control System Malfunction) or P0705 (Transmission Range Sensor Malfunction)- and/or your backup lights aren't working, you have to wiggle the shifter a little or hold it in a certain position to get them to come on, or you have to wiggle the shifter fore and aft to get the Jeep to start, or it starts only in Neutral or only in Park, or won't shift into overdrive ... there are tons of symptoms."

I don't have any of those problems, the backup lights started working when I replaced fuse #10

I went and bought a circuit tester, tested all the fuses one last time just to be sure, they all checked out, so then I started from my taillight and tested the circuits, it appears that some how both of my converter boxes are bad even though they are almost brand new, I guess I need to get higher quality ones, anyone have any suggestions? I was using the hopkins brand from advance auto...

Back