• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Solenoids?? NSS??? Both???

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
So over a YEAR ago after fording through some flood water I had a 5 minute issue where my jeep was starting from a stop in 2nd gear. After turning the key to half position and shifting from P to 1st back and forth it started up and went fine....I noticed in the last month that if I was to downshift the jeep manually lets say at 35 mph, that instead of it dropping into 1st at 25 mph like it should, it would sometimes not hit first untill 15 mph....then I had the 2nd gear start issue again for 5 minutes...and today I was at 35 mph dropped to 1-2 and it actually shifted into 1st (at 35) reved high then went to 2nd, then back to first...I left it in 1st stopped and took off and it shifted into 2nd at like 15 mph (when It should do that dumb redline shift that I hate) tried to drop it back in 1st and it would not go into 1st unless I stopped. turned it off and on and it drove fine. I'm confused.:dunno:- 95 XJ 4.0 AX4 168,000

I believe that the NSS is just for starting and does not affect the transmission shifting. Weird shifting is often caused by the TPS. You could check that with an analog voltmeter. I'm not sure what the voltage range should be on your 95 but it needs to be a smoothe transition from closed throttle to wide open with no dead spots. I'm sure you could find the actual values for yours by searching threads.

x2., NSS does not effect shifting.

Pull your trans cover and remove and check the soleniods.
I checked mine by just adding power from the batt. And if it clicks its good. No click its bad. Replace as needed.

Pull your trans cover and remove and check the soleniods.
I checked mine by just adding power from the batt. And if it clicks its good. No click its bad. Replace as needed.

You don't need to do all that to test the solenoids. All you need is a ohm-meter to check them from inside the jeep. Find the harness that plugs into the TCM and you check a few wires there, I did it this past summer on my brothers jeep. I'll see if I can find the wiring diagram.

Edit: Sorry, I meant TCU.

Last edited:
Jumping in on this one. I have a 98 that is throwing a solenoid CEL and is shifting...well, horribly. It likes to go 2nd to 4th at about 25-35 mph. Bogs and I have to manually shift it into 3rd. It also feels like its low on power...could be skipping gears at lower speeds. Sometimes it will refuse shift out of 1st until I come all the way off the gas.

Back