• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I use a 1989 rear hatch on a 95 xj?

Pnwxj808

NAXJA Forum User
I’m wondering if anyone on here can tell me how I can get a 1989 Cherokee rear hatch to fit on my 1995 Cherokee. I’ve realized that the wiring harness is different. The 89 has 4 connectors where the 95 has 2 connectors. Is there any way I can get it to work? Thanks for the help!

1..The lift stut attachment points are different. 2.. The latch mechanism is different. and yes 3... the wire feed thrus are different. Modifications will be needed in those areas for sure. And I do not know if it will even fit. I got a 1990, my buddy has a 2001, and we noted the those three differences last week.

Any 1984 to 1996 tailgate should interchange, check with your local junkyard to confirm. They will look it up in the Hollander Interchange catalog.

Black1999jeep seems to be confused by the 1997-2001 body changes which do not interchange hatches with the 1984-1996.

1..The lift stut attachment points are different. 2.. The latch mechanism is different. and yes 3... the wire feed thrus are different. Modifications will be needed in those areas for sure. And I do not know if it will even fit. I got a 1990, my buddy has a 2001, and we noted the those three differences last week.

That difference is going to be about the '96-'97 break in body design.

For the OP, as long as he is staying with pre '97 he has a reasonably good chance the piece will fit.

As Tim said, junkyard interchange manuals are the best source of information in this regard. However, if it is just a matter of wiring that should be fairly simple to overcome. OTOH, if mounting points are different then it is probably more work than it is worth.

The hatch will fit and line up it’s just the wiring issue Of getting everything to work properly in the hatch like defrost, wiper ect. That’s the biggest issue for me

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the body side of the connections so I could wire the 89 hatch to work? That would be a huge help! I appreciate all the help guys!

Have you considered swapping the electrical harness from the old hatch to the replacement? I would think the glass connections are the same. Swapping the rear wiper motor over shouldn't be the end of the world either. Or am I missing something?

True I could do that and it would make it easier. Both hatches have the same accessories on it. I just done understand why there is more wires on the 89 than the 95 makes no sense unless like you said the wiper motor is the reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No my 95 is all manual lock and I’m pretty sure the 89 i got it off of was also manual lock. The only thing I noticed on the 89 was a wire grounding out to the lock mechanism. I will have to look for more wire but I’m most certain it was only one connection

Okay so I just checked and there are two wires going to the lock mechanism so I’m going to assume the 89 had power locks

That might not be the only thing in play there. I have no idea how dome lights were wired with regard to the hatch, but that would be another factor to consider.

If there is a solenoid to activate the lock then yes, it would have power locks, but two wires could be just a dome light switch.

Alright I’ll check more into it tomorrow when I get off of work. But if there isn’t a solenoid I would swap the harness and the wiper motor correct?

I think that should work. Without laying hands on parts I don't know what little details might be in Murphy's hands.

Yeah I’ll try and get into the replacement hatch a little more and compare wire connections to the hatch I have on the Jeep thanks

when did the rear speaker bar come out. I'm sure the rear speakers are hatch mounted on the 89. Are the 95 speakers still in the hatch or on the bar?

Back