• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers! what ya running and why?

ARB's front and rear in CJ5 and XJ.

In 20 years of running ARB's (on multiple rigs) I have never had an issue with loosing air (I installed the ARB's in my XJ).
ARB's are instant lock even if stopped, and can be engaged on the fly.
Their customer service is exceptional.

I have a Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 with the air locker in the front and an Eaton E-Locker in the rear.

ARB's front and rear in CJ5 and XJ.

In 20 years of running ARB's (on multiple rigs) I have never had an issue with loosing air (I installed the ARB's in my XJ).
ARB's are instant lock even if stopped, and can be engaged on the fly.
Their customer service is exceptional.

I didn't know they locked if air flow stopped. that's cool.

I also want RCV's, a long arm lift, harness seats and a few other things, so throwing a thousand per diff plus air compressor, etc seems a little crazy. good to know they have good service as well.
decisions....

I have a Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 with the air locker in the front and an Eaton E-Locker in the rear.

Is that the Trak-Lock? may have come in TJs? don't know much about the stock lockers.

They don't, your mis-reading what he's saying. You can "lock" them from a dead stop or "lock" them on the fly.

Is that the Trak-Lock? may have come in TJs? don't know much about the stock lockers.

IIRC, he stock TJ locker runs at a much lower air pressure than the ARB locker does. As a result the ARB compressors are too much for it, so you have to find the matching stock air compressor. Which then opens up a can of worms for matching the rear- either use the TJ Rubi stuff, go with a non-selectable, add a second compressor for an ARB, or go with the e-locker.

I also want RCV's, a long arm lift, harness seats and a few other things, so throwing a thousand per diff plus air compressor, etc seems a little crazy. good to know they have good service as well.
decisions....

No airflow is required once locked, all you need to keep them locked is air pressure. If the air is flowing, you got a leak. small leaks are not going to unlock them if the compressor can maintain enough pressure to keep them locked. the compressor may need to cycle on for a short time every now and then to maintain pressure, but that occurs automatically.

and heck a compressor is kind of needed anyways for tire inflation, if you air down for trails and then need to air up for highway and such, plus the compressor is nice for filling a flat tire.

No airflow is required once locked, all you need to keep them locked is air pressure. If the air is flowing, you got a leak. small leaks are not going to unlock them if the compressor can maintain enough pressure to keep them locked. the compressor may need to cycle on for a short time every now and then to maintain pressure, but that occurs automatically.

and heck a compressor is kind of needed anyways for tire inflation, if you air down for trails and then need to air up for highway and such, plus the compressor is nice for filling a flat tire.
That's counterintuitive. You don't build pressure without flow...

Anywho. Think I've decided. Maybe...

In my experience, having the front locked when I didn't want it was more problematic that the rear being locked under torque.

As mentioned I STAY locked. So perhaps releasing the ass end would've let me turn tighter.

@phil I know your front is spooled. selectable rear locker?

I won't go spool for aforementioned road manners that I really don't care about...

Grizzly front, e-lock rear?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My front is spooled yes, and the rear is ARB air locker. Longest history in the industry, lots of other users, made for my axle.

I do have an Atlas transfer case, so for the tight turns I am able to go front-only but I strongly believe the advantage comes from the two front tires “pulling together” when turned to the side, without the rear pushing forward “locked” to resist the turn.

That's counterintuitive. You don't build pressure without flow...

Anywho. Think I've decided. Maybe...

In my experience, having the front locked when I didn't want it was more problematic that the rear being locked under torque.

As mentioned I STAY locked. So perhaps releasing the ass end would've let me turn tighter.

@phil I know your front is spooled. selectable rear locker?

I won't go spool for aforementioned road manners that I really don't care about...

Grizzly front, e-lock rear?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you locked the ARB, no flow is needed, as a pressure is required to maintain the lock condition, not a flow of air. The ARB locks by use of a piston the working fluid that moves the piston is air. It should be intuitive that flow is not required to maintain the piston in the locked position absent leakage.

If you locked the ARB, no flow is needed, as a pressure is required to maintain the lock condition, not a flow of air. The ARB locks by use of a piston the working fluid that moves the piston is air. It should be intuitive that flow is not required to maintain the piston in the locked position absent leakage.

dude you also thought that my axles were gonna grenade themselves if I drove them on the street, so..... you'll have to forgive me questioning your thinking.

I want simple/reliable. Very little street use, so ARB advantages are limited and they're the most expensive option. glad you like yours, but likely not for me.

keep it simple and your half way there already.
Grizzly/grizzly

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

can't argue with that. found an Ox for rear for 400. it's on the way. will do grizzly up front. :party:

One thing you can do that will help with auto-locker in front would be a 2Low kit.

found the teraflex kit. for 300, I'll probably move to a 205 instead of dumping money into the 231

2 low
Offcourse it'll help cause its in 2wd and unlocked.

I do see a Detroit, grizzly being pretty aggressive on the street.

I also think that at some point we gota quit talking and making plans climb in that digger get after it. Talking only goes so far specially when jeepers often don't have experience with what they're giving advice on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back