• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper/Receiver build and SFR shackles boxes

ok. I read in an earlier post that you only have one hand, but considering everything that you do, I assume you are fully capable unless you say otherwise which you have done now. Its great that you can do so much for your limitations.

What I thought was going to be a fairly easy day, it just snowballed from there! I started removing bolts from my shackle box/bumper rail and I was not able to re-install them, I had to die grind until I had a smooth install. My shackles are going to have to have the extra inch cut off since they are hitting my leaf springs. Finally got to fitting the skid (it's never been on with my new rail mounts) so I can finish welding it up, got that done for the day! Since the tank is plastic and riding right on the tank, I will just tack it and then remove it for final welding
P1080973.JPG

P1080972.JPG

I'd like to see how the shackles were hitting your leaf springs.

We specifically designed them to fit military wrap Deaver springs, where a lot of shackles were having interference problems.

The second leaf is "splayed" a little jamming against the extended sides of the shackle.
P1080974.JPG

P1080975.JPG

The one alternative that I was "kind of thinking about" (since it's been years) would be to break the packs back down, smooth and radius the ends/edges and re-lubriplate the leaves for a even better ride.

I just placed my last order to complete this project (I hope).

Stainless roundhead bolts and washers for the interior (SFR bracket).....
ARP bolts to replace all the tie rail bolts (SFR bracket/gas tank skid).....
Aluminum plate to make a license plate extension.....
Led license plate bolts.....

and a new license plate, since mine was totally faded out which is supposedly illegal.

Maybe we should talk about some new leaf springs while you're at it. I'll admit that yours were made this century ...but just barely. ;)

Maybe we should talk about some new leaf springs while you're at it. I'll admit that yours were made this century ...but just barely. ;)

Oh I've had Some Deavers on the back of my mind for years. The only catch was retaining exactly the same ride height, but now that is possible so..........

I got the skid plate finished and everything is bolted up with the new ARP bolts for the last time. I'll pull the shackles and get them cut down tomorrow as I'm waiting on material for the license plate.
P1080976.JPG

P1080977.JPG

P1080978.JPG

P1080979.JPG

P1080980.JPG

This is yet another XJ I've seen where the fuel line shield is not installled. Does everyone remove the fuel line shield?

That is an interesting observation.

Mine was missing when I got my XJ. I got one from the JY and installed it.

I think folks get angry with it when dealing with receivers or skids and decide they don't want it anymore.

I just haven't got to that yet but it be going back on in some form.

Funny you say that mine is in the garage. Forgot it last time and decided to reinstall when I build a bumper.

I hated to do it but the shackles are done(they make more). Along with that I got the interior bolts done and the gas fill protector trimmed and installed, it uses all the factory hardware.
P1080981.JPG

P1080982.JPG

P1080984.JPG

P1080983.JPG

P1080985.JPG

I like the button head cap screws for the bolts that go through into the cabin. Nice idea.

I was wondering if SRBs typically interfere with the fuel line shield. When I had my fuel line shield off to do a trailer hitch, I put foam strip between the leading edge of the shield and the body to keep dirt/mud from easily entering from the front side.

"The Never-ending Story"

It's kind of funny but last night I go out to dinner and on the way home I'm think about bragging about the quietest/smoothest ride it's been in 20yrs. As I am pulling back into the driveway and hit the curb, "Clunk"! I think I've got a loose shock bushing or worse yet the upper control arm bushings are shot so I have some new investigating to do today.

I got the cut and fold done but it was a major PITA compared to the last one! Besides having to repair the body damage the panels were full of dried mud that had be fully cleaned to do the welding. I'm going to try to finish the bumper this week for a run, but I'm not going to rush things!

I like the button head cap screws for the bolts that go through into the cabin. Nice idea.

I was wondering if SRBs typically interfere with the fuel line shield. When I had my fuel line shield off to do a trailer hitch, I put foam strip between the leading edge of the shield and the body to keep dirt/mud from easily entering from the front side.

That won't any good, the uni-body and frame-rails have ton's of holes in them from the factory!

Went thru the entire XJ today(on the ground) and did not find anything. Time to put it on the lift and check. Meantime I checked all fluids and we are good to go there.

Back