• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big brake options

fuelfox4949

NAXJA Forum User
my build so far is

1998 jeep Cherokee sport
6.5" TNT long arm and iror leafs
Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear with teraflex disc brakes also non abs.
stock steering with iror beefy tie-rod and iror double sheer drag link
4.56 gears and Eaton e locker in Dana 44
Goodyear duratrec 33" tires on quadratec 15x8 alloy rims with 4" backspacing.

i have a few questions in regards to my next upgrades.

1. I need better brakes would you do the wj swap or buy http://www.tandrperformance.com/trbigbrkitfo.html there 15 inch kit?
2. what is the benefit of swapping the spring of the zj prop valve in my xj?
does it just give more rear braking force? or will it lock the tires easier?

3. I'm looking into upgrading my steering with probably iror over the knuckle kit. now searching the internet i was trying to find the best setup for my jeep as i wheel it hard but also drive it a lot on the street... but its not a daily driver. school me on y link, t link, crossover, and over the knuckle.

throughout my researching i do like the idea of wj knuckle swap but then i need new steering and drag link and all the misc parts for the swap.
where i feel if i order the kit from t and r its a easy bolt in and can then just do the steering upgrade down the road when i have more time to research.

i emailed t and r and asked what is a better brake performance the wj swap or there kit but have not hear back yet so i was wondering if any of you guys know the answer.

i know I'm kinda all over I'm just racking my brain and kinda confused with all the options and when you start reading 1 topic you venture off to another build or topic and so on and so forth.

any help would be great hopefully i gave enough info to my situation, thank you and have a great 4th of July weekend.

WJ set up. Better brakes and geometry.

I just got these 15 inch rims and 33s so i don't really want to switch. I wish i knew someone that is running the tandr performance brake kit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have the WJ steering on my set up. When I did Liberty discs, I installed magic pads, I'll use them again when I go to the WJ front disc set up.

my build so far is

1998 jeep Cherokee sport
6.5" TNT long arm and iror leafs
Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear with teraflex disc brakes also non abs.
stock steering with iror beefy tie-rod and iror double sheer drag link
4.56 gears and Eaton e locker in Dana 44
Goodyear duratrec 33" tires on quadratec 15x8 alloy rims with 4" backspacing.

i have a few questions in regards to my next upgrades.

1. I need better brakes would you do the wj swap or buy http://www.tandrperformance.com/trbigbrkitfo.html there 15 inch kit?
2. what is the benefit of swapping the spring of the zj prop valve in my xj?
does it just give more rear braking force? or will it lock the tires easier?

3. I'm looking into upgrading my steering with probably iror over the knuckle kit. now searching the internet i was trying to find the best setup for my jeep as i wheel it hard but also drive it a lot on the street... but its not a daily driver. school me on y link, t link, crossover, and over the knuckle.

throughout my researching i do like the idea of wj knuckle swap but then i need new steering and drag link and all the misc parts for the swap.
where i feel if i order the kit from t and r its a easy bolt in and can then just do the steering upgrade down the road when i have more time to research.

i emailed t and r and asked what is a better brake performance the wj swap or there kit but have not hear back yet so i was wondering if any of you guys know the answer.

i know I'm kinda all over I'm just racking my brain and kinda confused with all the options and when you start reading 1 topic you venture off to another build or topic and so on and so forth.

any help would be great hopefully i gave enough info to my situation, thank you and have a great 4th of July weekend.

Your rotor is a lever, larger the lever, stronger the braking.
Anyone tells you any different they are full of shit.

You want 'big brakes' you need a big lever.
You'll need to evaluate your wheel size.

If you are prepared to spend $1000...........see Wilwood.

Rear discs are a must, period.

Ultimately my goal is a 15" rotor in the front and 6 pot calipers. That's why I'm on 18" wheels.

As soon as my truck painted I'll be installing the Wilwoods front and rear.

As for steering, I went with Synergy. Yes I wanted cross-over steering but after a lot of thought.....was not worth the effort, for road driving you'll never notice the difference.

Back