• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Range of Antifreeze Concentration

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I have a 1992 XJ I-6 auto transmission 4X4. The recommended antifreeze concentration is 50/50 water/ethylene glycol (the green stuff).

I'm in San Diego. My Jeep never sees very low temperatures.

Antifreeze performs three functions. It lowers the point at which coolant freezes, it raises the boiling point, and it provides corrosion resistance. Here is a link to the freezing point depression feature:

http://www.veximchem.com/products M/mono ethylene glycol-antifreeze.html

I'd like to run a lower concentration of antifreeze with the idea that I can obtain better cooling by having more water in the mix.

Does anyone know what the lower limit of antifreeze concentration can be and still retain the necessary corrosion resistance.

A lower concentration of antifreeze will also boil at a lower temperature. Does anyone know what this might mean in a Jeep radiator system?

Thanks!

I do and would buy nothing but the "pre-mix". It saves messing with distilled water and is always ready to go, it also has the best mix.

I would run a 60/40 mix water/coolant, and a water wetter additive. Naturally, making sure the entire cooling system is top quality parts and function at 100% is also necessary.

Last edited:
The anti corrosion components in the coolant do wear out, if you run lower concentration, you may want to change coolant more frequently so as to replace worn out anti corrosion chemical.

Some of the water wetter additives contain corrosion inhibitor, or you could also run supplement cooling additive. Really if you're only running conventional green it's not expensive to flush yearly tho.

You can run a 60/40 no problem and benefit from better heat transfer over 50/50.

If you only see hot weather you can change the glycol for some other Coolant/Rust inhibitor.

I run distilled water with water wetter in the XJ.

Not the same green coolant; but this is from a 2009 Ford Escape user manual and matches what I've read:

Your vehicle was factory-filled with a 50/50 engine coolant and water
concentration. If the concentration of coolant falls below 40% or above
60%, the engine parts could become damaged or not work properly. A
50/50 mixture of coolant and water provides the following:
• Freeze protection down to -34°F (-36°C).
• Boiling protection up to 265°F (129°C).
• Protection against rust and other forms of corrosion.
• Proper function of calibrated gauges.

Back