• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Quest for a good 0331 replacement???

I saw a guy on YouTube that put a CCH head on his 4.0 and was please with it. I am in the market for a cylinder head but have not really looked yet other than Autozone, which I rather avoid.....

Random question, but do they just magnaflux or something a cracked cast iron head, true it up and send it out?

While magnafluxing a head or block can reveal cracks, cast iron's a bit tricky to weld. You basically have to heat the part up with a torch and weld it with a high nickel content rod. And that's still no guarantee that the heat you dumped into it with the torch or welder won't warp or distort the part when it cools down.

If you wanted to go aluminum with a 4.0 head, Edelbrock now makes a fully loaded (valves, springs, etc.) ready-to-go 4.0 Performer cylinder head. It works on '87 to '06 4.0's and the only real hitch is you have to use a '91 or later intake manifold. But at $1,600+, I feel like they're a bit pricey. Some of us have rigs that didn't even cost that much lol.

So I'm curious to how this ended up -- What did Op decide to do

It seems I may be in need of a new head for my 2000

I don't have any cracks but the head need to come off -- something is up with the exhaust valve on cylinder 2 -- rod is bent like an S and valve is stuck open -- spring compressed, rocker loose

Anyway I currently have the 0331 head -- no TUPY -- I also have no known cracks, it's clean under the valve cover but, from what I read, I'd be a fool to remove that head and put it back on with the known cracking issues -- Right now it'a got 225,000 miles on it

I'm pretty sure its a wash if I go Junk yard Tupy and haver it done vs a new, done head

How did it turn out OP?

I purchased a "Clearwater Cylinder Head", it's been great ever since!

I did some reading on clearwater -- Seems they get really bad reviews on their Facebook page

Did you order a new head or reman? -- eBay or direct from their website?

I may just source a local Tupy and have it checked/rebuilt

I have a local Junk yard with quite a few grand cherokees in it -- gonna take a walk monday to see how many tupy heads I can find

Ok -- thats what I thought from reading here that clearwater was GTG

It seems on the Facebook page that the jeep 4.0 heads get good reviews but other heads not so much

Amazon and ebay and their website -- where do you order from - any benefits from ordering from one place over the other?

That makes me want to believe the 4.0 is still or recently produced somewhere! I do remember a add stating made in China.

Plausible, I had to look it up - I see that the BJ4000 did use thr 4.0 through 2009 when Beijing switched to Nissan power. Now I don't know if that is just an interesting fact or if Clearwater is using leftover BJ4000 head castings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

Don't assume that the heads are left over parts. The Chinese can and will produce first world quality parts, if you pay for them. They just seem to specialize in knock-off copies and low quality stuff.

A foundry in China is making copies of the Jeep Go-Devil engine block used from the late 1930's thru the 1950's, using modern foundry and CNC machining technologies.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1608-vintage-jeep-engine-blocks/

Don't assume that the heads are left over parts. The Chinese can and will produce first world quality parts, if you pay for them. They just seem to specialize in knock-off copies and low quality stuff.

A foundry in China is making copies of the Jeep Go-Devil engine block used from the late 1930's thru the 1950's, using modern foundry and CNC machining technologies.

Not to be too nit picky, but you have to pay them, and also watch them. Either American QC inspectors on the line, or electronics that will shut the line down when problems are detected or said electronics are tampered with. If you sign the contract for a million widgets, the prototypes will be good, but then they turn up the dial so to speak, to increase productivity, plastics aren't given time to do their thing, etc, etc ... and its a downward spiral.

That's pretty awesome. I have no actual knowledge where CCH gets their castings, was just confirming the use of the 4.0 design in the BJ4000.

Back