• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interesting AX-15 issue, semi-solved

5-spd 101: Make SURE everything is correct when replacing an XJ 5-spd. the clearances are so tight, that even the rebuild shop is baffled by this one!
My 97 4.0 5-spd went south, and my local tranny guy claimed to have done a "ton of them." Paid for the rebuilt AX-15, everything seemed Ok. then goign over a speed bump, and later hard braking, I heard a bizarre "rubbing" noise from under the tunnel. He insisted It was eomthing I did, and I couldn't track it down. Turned out, after puttign it on the lift, it was just diff enough form the orig that the front driveshaft was rubbing on the inside of the tunnel on full compression. Hmmm... they had used an orig "spacer plate" under the tranny that actually jacked the tranny up just a squish, enough to rub as mentioned. They called the "tech guys" who were baffled, and insisted they evne used the VIn # as a base when sendign the new one. My guess? wrong model AX-15, as a little bracket also didn't match. fascinating how goofy-assed diff these things can be, even w/in the same models and years. Hodge podge of parts availablitiy? Who knows. Be SUPER CAREFUL, even w/so-called pros. caveat emptor!

Remember, the XJ was designed by AMC.

AMC = "All Makes Compatible."

I just put an AX-15 in my 88 (from a 1990,) and I found out that the 88 X-member actually sat about 1/2" lower than the 1990, so I used it instead...

Remember that - AMC = All Makes Compatible. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket.

5-90

Are you implying my NEW AX-15 is older, or that my orig one was older? (my XJ was apapperntly one of the early 97s. judging by build dates, etc.)
Are there any dramatic differences I need to be aware of? besides the fact that he sold me something "supposedly" for an XJ? Strength issues? alignment? likelihood of driveline vibes if lifted, etc.?

The cases should be the same all the way up (unless they came up with AX-15, AX-15A, AX-15A1, &c.) - so it's probably just a mounting issue.

Manuals are fairly easy to rebuild if you have a press (that's the biggest thing about them,) so that's not at issue. And, I don't think they'd change the basic gearcase much - the Muncie Top-loader four-speed didn't change for a good forty years, as I recall. Since the bellhousing is removable on the AX-15, there's no need to change the gearcase.

Still, it illustrates the fact that there are three mechanics in the country I trust - one's retired, one died last year, and I'm still kicking...

5-90

Back