• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first 4x4

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
Finally forced to do so by a leaky roof, I just unpacked a box of pictures that’ve been in storage for over 20 years and came across a picture of my very first four-wheel drive vehicle, which is pretty danged cool since I thought I didn’t have a picture of it. Here it is — a Korando K9.

16f993f30adf862db16b5f7f69ef990f.jpg

The front end looks like a CJ5. With the two center-facing jump seats down in the back it’d carry 9 people. (That’s my son on the left, with one of his pals.) I owned it for two years, from 1993 to 1995 while living on Saipan and thought about shipping it to California when I came back. But I had no idea what’d be involved in making it legal here, so I decided against bringing it with me. Man did I enjoy that rig!

My next 4x4 after the Korando was an S10 Blazer, followed by ZJ, then a ‘93 Bronco, followed by my current ‘99 XJ.

I was just so jazzed to find that picture of the Korando that I thought it worth posting.

Nice rig, cool picture. Looks like it's a bit longer than a Scrambler even. I bet that was an awesome vehicle to explore the island.

What was it running for a power plant? Diesel?

Not at all a good picture, but only one I have digitized. Back in 1874, when I was 18, they hadn't yet invented digital cameras. All my stuff is on 35mm slides. One Of These Days, I'm going to transfer them all to digital. I even have the scanner.

1966 Dodge A-100 van. Short wheelbase (90"). Full length new subframe, brazed to unibody. Engine and trans pushed forward 20" in order to fit. 24" driveshafts front and rear, 9 1/2" drop on rear driveshaft :wow:

W200 axles (D44HD/D60), custom springs, 440 Magnum V-8 (back when Magnum actually meant something), NP435 trans and 203 full time t-case.

Scary thing is that it still sits in my driveway in NY, slowly but surely rusting away. I need to sell the darn thing.

David Bricker / SYR

Noah wants it, to restore. I fear if he comes and gets it, it will just then sit in the desert, slowly fading away, for another 25 years.

I have some nostalgia towards it, but I can't see shipping it to Hawaii to use.

David Bricker / SYR

1968 Dodge Power Wagon W200, built a 360 ci small block out of a Dodge Polara. Good times with this truck.
Picture circa 1976-1977

aSvbCLil.jpg

Nice truck. I'd sure like to have my '64 back.

A good buddy of mine — some of you met him in Moab — wound up owning this International Harvester from Grumpy Old Men.

95b77b84d59221eaf34a8a8e2df3ce4a.jpg

Cool rigs. I had a 1974 W200 plow truck for 12 or so years. I paid $500 for the plow, and they threw the truck in for free. I sold the plow 12 years later for $300, and threw the truck in for free. That thing was close to indestructible,

David Bricker / SYR

Back