• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for MJ side vents for XJ hood vents

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
I found an MJ at the junkyard I didnt just rip these off someones Comanche.

DSC00480.jpg

Mocked in place

DSC00478.jpg

The only problem is that they have a slight curve to them. I want them to sit flush on the hood, any ideas?

Put them in the oven on about 195 on a cookie sheet you dont want to use anymore. Coat every contact point with light cutting oil so they dont stick and put another cookie sheet on top of them. Then add some weight. space the weight evenly. Check then about every 5 minutes. Should flatten out good for you.

put them out in direct sunlight with cinderblocks on them for a day or two, should help a bit

gradon said:
the lines are nice

I know I didnt notice it until I looked at the picture, but they line right up with the hood. Ill have to put them in the oven tomorrow or soemthing then. What is cutting oil? Just vegatable or olive oil?

seanyb505 said:
What is cutting oil? Just vegatable or olive oil?
It's sometimes used to lubricate things like washing machines. It usually comes in a plastic bottle with an extendable spout. I like the idea of using the MJ vents.

uhm

they have 4 plastic 'christmas tree' clips on them...or should. drill holes for all 4 of them and pop it in. it will hold shape to the hood.

screw the oven idea...you're gonna wreck them.

you'll only need to cut out a 5"x3" section or so. that's the vent size behind them, and what you're gonna be able to make them do. i don't recommend trying to add more slatts to them

The problem with the clips is that they are higher than the rest of the vent. If I just screw holes and slap it on there will be a gap between the vents and the hood. Im thinking of working some kind of bolt in the slots and using that to hold it tighter, and some sort of seal underneath.

seanyb505 said:
The problem with the clips is that they are higher than the rest of the vent. If I just screw holes and slap it on there will be a gap between the vents and the hood. Im thinking of working some kind of bolt in the slots and using that to hold it tighter, and some sort of seal underneath.

no gap on any of my comanches...new christmas tree clips fix that.

but, yeah bolts would be best.

The body on the manche that the vents fit onto is curved. The hood of my XJ is not, hence need for straightening. I am beginning to wonder if theyre really worth it, but they do look nice.

they're plyable enough to set down flat.

i build comanches, and have messed with these ALOT. trust me, they're plyable.

seanyb505 said:
The body on the manche that the vents fit onto is curved. The hood of my XJ is not, hence need for straightening. I am beginning to wonder if theyre really worth it, but they do look nice.

The potential for them to look good is there. Just take your time and recheck your measurements and plans...

I found an MJ at the junkyard I didnt just rip these off someones Comanche.

Mocked in place

DSC00478.jpg
i just stumbled upon this (yes, i know it's old) thread and i have to say: DAYUM! they look way cool! they blend so nicely with the lines of the hood.

Back