• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XO Fab Cage Install

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
Figured I would throw up what it takes to install this cage as I didn't find much in my research.

Kit is bent and coped, 1.75"-.120 wall DOM.

The main roof hallo is cut into 3 pieces for shipping, so first step is to weld this together. It comes with sleeves, I also added some plug welds.

Put the rest of it together, but just tacks incase it needs to be adjusted.

Marked out the roof.. no turning back..

I was really carful when I drilled the holes to not punch through the headliner. I then cut back the headliner backing so I could neatly cut and fold back the headliner fabric and glue it in place. This will trap the headliner but if I had to remove for some reason I can make cuts later...

B Pillar

The kit comes with plates you can weld or bolt to the floor for the B and C pillar to land on. I wasn't about to rely on sheet metal floors to support a cage so I spent some time to make proper landings.

B Pillar...

C Pillar...

With the base done, I started fine tuning the pillars. I made a gauge block to get all 4 corners as close a s possible. The C pillars took a small amount of grinding, but the B pillars had to be cut down because my supports were higher up.

R1ghbpxl.jpg

For the B pillars I made another block the distance that needed to be cut then transferred that to the end of the tube.

ucIme3zl.jpg

CL8KI7ll.jpg

With the B and C set, I moved onto the A pillars. These took a bit of tuning, hopefully the windshield can still come out...

a35vFUZl.jpg

iyWTVZol.jpg

And cut the fenders to clear..

vqhFIkml.jpg

Starting to look like something now

IUGicx1l.jpg

WOW - well done dude! Making me wish I would have considered that cage!

It's all in the details...nice work! Definitely subd for when I pull the trigger on a cage or bender. The mounting points came out slick man, and the finished product is on pace to be a very well thought out and put together upgrade. Dig it

How are you sealing the roof pass through points? Ima have to look at the kit.... wanting tube fenders (upfront at least) I'm curious how hard it'd be to have the A pillars hug the outside of the fender vs the pass through as designed. I imagine what you have is this "new and improved" version?

http://shop-xo-fab-com.3dcartstores.com/NEW-XJ-Hybrid-Pre-Fit-DIY-Cage-Kit-_p_1847.html

Last edited:
ShoeterMcgav, from the description, it appears that the new version is already cut and coped; not what you'd want when trying to do something custom... Perhaps they could substitute raw front bars for you.

It's all in the details...nice work! Definitely subd for when I pull the trigger on a cage or bender. The mounting points came out slick man, and the finished product is on pace to be a very well thought out and put together upgrade. Dig it

How are you sealing the roof pass through points? Ima have to look at the kit.... wanting tube fenders (upfront at least) I'm curious how hard it'd be to have the A pillars hug the outside of the fender vs the pass through as designed. I imagine what you have is this "new and improved" version?

http://shop-xo-fab-com.3dcartstores.com/NEW-XJ-Hybrid-Pre-Fit-DIY-Cage-Kit-_p_1847.html

I will be using seam sealer around the pass throughs. The kit is the new version. If you put the a pillar on the outside of the fender, I would imagine it would take a pretty large stand off, these are 2x6 sliders and you can see how little room there is on the outside of the fender.

Have to be creative when working by yourself.

dEB19OFl.jpg

Welded the accessible area of b and c pillars then pryed the cage up as much as I could to get the rest, then paint.

NYajOdZl.jpg

A pillars, with shims for setting gap...

lHmRqh9l.jpg

mBEqLS9l.jpg

Weld and paint

xFYd5b4l.jpg

Seam sealer on the roof pass throughs

FRnzxEJl.jpg

First interior cross brace, I will be adding in another to make an X, this is all the kit comes with though.

OLJq0GEl.jpg

Fenders on, and front end back togther.

ny0GKael.jpg

The kit comes with the single C pillar brace and an uncut harness bar. To clear the seats the harness bar will need bent so the 50" one they provide will not be long enough. So instead I cut it up for the the C pillars.

d4fCJdil.jpg

nLeCQRSl.jpg

I will pick up some more tube so I can do the B pillar bracing, but before that I am going to order some new front seats.. any recommendations? I have been looking at the Corbeau Trailcats..

uTNNu79l.png

Hard to beat Corbeau... those look NICE

All work done is titties man, that C X came out like it was in the plans, nice work. Id want the same, odd it doesn't come as such. Since you are going to add some tube for the B pillar, you also plan on a spreader up front for the A pillar? Do you plan on a single spreader on the B or an X there as well?

Last edited:
Hard to beat Corbeau... those look NICE

All work done is titties man, that C X came out like it was in the plans, nice work. Id want the same, odd it doesn't come as such. Since you are going to add some tube for the B pillar, you also plan on a spreader up front for the A pillar? Do you plan on a single spreader on the B or an X there as well?

B pillar will be a harness bar and X, not sure on adding an A pillar spreader..

This jeep just gets better and better!

For making the fender cut outs match the tube are you just taking a bit out and checking, or is there a trick to make that easier?

Back