• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fishing..

Jump This

Just another minion!
Well, well, well.. a new forum.
What I find interesting is that Jeepin' has KEPT me from my other outdoor adventures. Its kinda' strange. I absolutely love fishing, and I have had my Jeep in some back woods locations that just seem to be prime pond fishing stops. But, I'm at these spots without any fishing gear.
I'm normally there with a group of other Jeepers and there is always someplace else to go.
This next fall might change that. My oldest brother wants to drive on down to Cabo and stop along the way to hit up as many isolated bays as we can.
There is another problem though, with my new build up I'm not sure the rig with be all that friendly to drive those kind of distances.

Maybe its time for another Cherokee!!

What about you all?

Rick

I combine Jeepin' and fishin' every Friday(my day off).

A nice relaxing tow to the lake over a 10 mile stretch of the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway topped off by a full day of hunting largemouth and smallmouth at Smith Mountain Lake.

Gone Jeepin/Fishin!

I have 3 other XJ's as well. I tow with any of the 4. The 96' pictured is slowly being converted to a trail rig and my 90' is my new tow rig(RENIX is the way to tow).
jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

Last edited:
This reminds me, I need to pick up a new collapsable pole. I know they aren't the best, but good to have. I carried around one for years on the 4wheeler, never knew when you might need it. Broke the tip off, and never picked one up. Im basically building my jeep to be able to put the boat on the roof, camp in the back and go fly fishing up above the Rangeley area. Lots of back roads exploring. There are tons of small ponds and streams locally, and theres always natural bait to throw on the hook, so it's good to have both types of poles.

Jeepin and Fishin... :cheers:

This is a pic from the ride home after a great day of fishing for smallies and paddling the upper James with another Jeeper friend. The shot was taken from my 90' and I have the same set-up on top of my XJ, a Mad River 14 and a Wilderness Systems Kayak on a Yakima rack with stackers.
donnysxjvg4.jpg

xjtrailrider said:
This is a pic from the ride home after a great day of fishing for smallies and paddling the upper James with another Jeeper friend. The shot was taken from my 90' and I have the same set-up on top of my XJ, a Mad River 14 and a Wilderness Systems Kayak on a Yakima rack with stackers.
donnysxjvg4.jpg

That picture right there makes Mr. Chubby happy!

:D

John B said:
98XJSport....you should recognize this area?

God i love the North Woods...

IMG_8806.jpg

I would guess baxter state park, but quite honestly Im not to familiar with that area. I spend more of my time Rangely, Oquossic, Eustis, that area. Its straight north 1-2 hours for me. Just gotta watch out for the border patrol :D

I like to Bass fish in one of the many ponds on what use to be my grandfathers land. I was always spoiled by it and never really enjoyed fishing as much as I do there. When he passed about 10 years ago he had 20 or so pnids full of catfish mostly, but now there are some nice Bass and Crappie in them. The property borders the South Edisto river near where it begins. Since his death the land has been bought by uncles and cusins and has 4 wheeler trails and about 12 or so ponds left. The other ponds were drained and are full of trees and underbrush. The deer love it too!

The wife and I live about 15 minutes from 2 differnt lakes and about 30 from the mohave rec area so we go pretty often. Id love to find others in our area that we could go with to other places

I went fishing with my father and sister's boyfriend today. One of those secret spots, so I figured I would throw up the couple pics I took and share a story. First the pics, all brook trout. We are all eating good tonite.
Picture001.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture037.jpg

The pic quality don't do it justice.

So I caught the big fish in the pics. I had just pulled him out of a good hole, and another bigger fish was biting. He stole my bait 3 times. I was rebaiting for a fourth time when a fawn still in spots jumped out of the woods almost running into me. It stopped arms length away, I wish I had the camera then. Of course where does the next jump land it? Right where I was casting... Little bastid.

Back