• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory X'fer case skidplate bolt nutzerts stripped, now what?

Chrisp929

NAXJA Forum User
I went to install my browndog motor mounts tonite. In the instructions, it says to loosen and or remove the tranfer case rubber mount bolts so as not to ruin the xfer case mounts when jacking up the engine to ease removal of the factory motor mounts.

Well i have the factory UPCOUNTRY package which includes the factory xfer case skid plate. I went to remove the skid plate to gain access to the rear most two bolts of the xfer case mount and all three bolts just spin.

Two bolts are fastened into the xfer case crossmember by what i assume are nut zerts. The third is bolted into the driver side unibody rail by what i also assume is a nut zert.

Is my only option to grind the heads off all three bolts and reinstall new nut zerts and bolts ?

This project is turning out to be a Pain in the butt. I already broke one of the three bolts off that hold the airbox into the engine bay. The 'nut' that belongs to the broken bolt is welded onto the sheetmetal in the driver side fender. Instead of drilling out the bolt and reinstalling, i think im just gonna break the nut off its weak spotwelds to the inner fender, and replace with a fresh new washer and nut underneath, and fresh bolt from above. SIGH!

Use a chisel or a pry bar between the skid and the frame rail/cross member to apply pressure to the nut-certs. If you keep pressure on them, they will hold enough to get the bolts out. Then you can try re-setting them, tack welding them, or replacing them.

Cut off the bolt on the frame rail, wrenched the other two off with a lot of heat (mapp gas), aggravation and leverage as suggested. Ty.

Going to replace nutzerts as i dont see another less time consuming way to reattatch. I'll be applying liberal amounts of locktite to zerts and antisieze to bolts.

I guess i'll try starting on the tranny mount bolts and brown dogs tomorrow. Cheese and crackers!

Can anyone please tell me where i can get replacement metric 'whatchamacallits' and the tool to set them ?

Are these officially called rivnuts or nutzerts ?

I googled a few places but some kits for example cost 225 dollars at fastenal .
Harborfreight doesn't come up with anything which SHOCKS me cause they are my go to place for affordable, otherwise expensive proprietary tools.

Maybe im searching wrong. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Get some nut-certs/rivet-nuts for a TJ from the Dealership. Also try Fastenal or nuttycompany. Use what ever size fits the holes.

Back